lost rockets and a reflection on costs

I've never lost a high power rocket before, so I'm taking it pretty hard. I made a mistake during prep, now I'm paying the price. I know that loss is part of the game, but it doesn't make it any easier to take.
However, the weather was great, there were a lot of people there, and there were a lot of excellent flights on some really big motors. I consider that a successful launch!
--
Joe Michel
NAR 82797 L2
J.A. Michel wrote:

It always sucks to lose an expensive rocket with motor hardware and electronics. I hope it turns up eventually.

They usually do turn up eventually, but it won't be soon enough to salvage much.
--
Joe Michel
NAR 82797 L2
J.A. Michel wrote:

Don't give up hope; Don got a rocket back that we were able to salvage the motor hardware and parachute from. If the altimeter hadn't gotten quite so corroded, it might've been salvagable, too.
-Kevin
I'd be REALLY happy If I could get the altimeter and motorcase back - anything else would just be a bonus. In analyzing what happened, I think that my beeper fell off or otherwise failed. I didn't hear it when it was under 'chute, and I usually do.
I ran the conditions in Rocksim, and it called for a maximum drift of about 5900ft. (I really doubt it went that far) I went out to 1.5 miles looking.....nothing. I had an excellent sightline on it with my GPS, but the cover was pretty thick. So I could have walked close past it and not known it. I still have the waypoints in my eTrex, so I can easily get back to where I was and search some more next time I'm there.
--
Joe Michel
NAR 82797 L2
J.A. Michel wrote:

It was a fall launch and we found it in the spring, so in addition to having been run over, it sat out in the fields over winter. We found it dropped off at the launch site prior to our first launch.
-Kevin
On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 21:04:35 -0500, "J.A. Michel"

"mistake during prep"? Did it lawn dart? :-(
Eldred
I plead the 5th. ;-)
--
Joe Michel