lost rockets and a reflection on costs

wrote:

Thanks for the tip.

Van Helsing? ; )
Randy http://vernarockets.com /
J.A. Michel wrote:

Get a beeper with a variable tone -- you're less likely to "lose" it amongst background noise. I found (heard) a Pratt Microbeacon a couple hundred feet away, on a reasonably windy day, while I was walking into the wind -- can you say wind noise in your ears?
Something sounded "wrong", so I paused and realized what it was. I then spent another couple of seconds determining the direction and walked right to the rocket.
-Kevin

I had a Pratt Microbecaon once. I lost it! 8-) A cornfield sucked it up along with my Arreaux, never to be seen again. Corn should be considered the #1 evil arch enemy my any rocketeer! The last time I was forced in to a cornfield, the recovery was a success - thanks to GPS. I woulda lost that one for sure without it.
--
Joe Michel
NAR 82797 L2

The U.S. Rockets Sonoroc beeper was the ultimate cornfield retreiver.

Has anyone here tried them? What do you think of it?
Jerry - You can send me an evaluation unit if you want.

"Was"? No longer available?
Eldred

Not in production. That could change, but unlikely you would hear about it since TRA/NAR centric circles refuse to publish news releases from USR.
Makes no sense.
Jerry Irvine wrote:

It was just a beeper available at Radio Shack years ago.
The thing that was "ultimate" about it was it's profit margin.

Then please be so kind as to post the catalog number so everybody can get it.
Do SOMETHING useful for a change.

I must have been totally confused by the consumer feedback.
Oops.
Jerry
"Bottom line is always remember- we graduate 9 times more lawyers in this country than we do engineers- sooner or later they'll need more courtrooms and there will be no one around to design and build them."
Jerry Irvine wrote:

Radio Shack hasn't stocked that particular beeper for over 15 years.

what "consumer feedback"?

What, no "consumer feedback" to show us?

Jerry Irvine wrote:

Radio Shack; Mini Personal Alarm, catalog # 49-428
CONVERSION DIRECTIONS:
1. What's needed:
a. Radio Shack, Mini Personal Alarm, R>S catalog # 49-428 b. 3/16" drill bit and drill c. #1 cross point screw driver d. Lanyard material, (man rated parachute cord or kevlar cord) f. Hobby knife for cutting lanyard to desired length.
2. Disassemble the unit by removing the two (2) screws, holding the unit together.
3. There are two halves, once the unit disassembled. Depending on the material you decide to use for the additional lanyard, drill a hole in the unit half that does not contain the guts of the unit, (I use standard man rated parachute cord or 1/4" kevlar cord, both requires a hole size of only 3/16", to thread the cord through). If you drill the hole at the aft edge of the circle indent, it makes a neat place to store the retaining knot, (refer to next step).
4. Once the hole is drilled, thread the lanyard cord through the hole you drilled and make a retainment knot on the inside part of the lanyard piece. You can safety the knot with a drop of fast CA glue, if desired. Tuck the finished retaining knot into the circle indent and reassemble the two halves of the unit together and install the unit in your rocket, as desired.
As a side note: This unit uses the same 12vdc cigarette lighter battery used in Adept altimeter units. I tested one of the alarm units and it was still going strong after 6 hours, (to keep the noise from bothering anyone I taped the hole and put the unit under a small bucket (:-).
I'll repost the instructions along with pictures to ABMR, as soon as I get the pictures down loaded.
Fred

That's not a "U.S. Rockets Sonoroc "substitute" and misses some of the key features that make it optimal as a "cornfield retreiver", which was the original point, but it is "something".
Jerry Jerry
Jerry Irvine wrote:

I made no such claims..

And what might those features be??

As normal for you, you must find something to bitch about, without providing fact, in support of... Im sure others may find the information useful.
Fred
W. E. Fred Wallace wrote:

Well, for starters, when you pay for it, you actually get one....

Why don't you tell us what the ket features are?
Jerry Irvine wrote:

That's true, the "U.S. Rockets Sonoroc" was just a "stock" (1.25" dia.) raw beeper with no switch or battery holder, just the power supply wires sticking out of it. How was that "ultimate"?

Dave Grayvis wrote:

It's not identical, but this looks like it. http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F011%5F002%5F003%5F000&product%5Fid '3%2D068
Dave Grayvis wrote:

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F011%5F002%5F003%5F000&product%5Fid '3%2D068
Try this, the unit is a little pricy, but it's a quality piece of work.
http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&product%5FidI-428
Fred

Mass-market rocketeers are FAR too cheap.