lost rockets and a reflection on costs

Kevin Trojanowski wrote:

Drainage ditches totally bite the big one. Particulary if one loses their footing on the side of said ditch.
Took 5 washings before my chucks turned green algae back to blue.
Ted Novak TRA#5512 IEAS#75

What's milo?
I'm not afraid of terrorists. I am terrorized by airport security. _george
Bob Kaplow wrote:

The guy who was buying and selling stuff in "Catch-22"
David "and everyone will have a share" Erbas-White
Bob Kaplow wrote:

Also called grain sorghum.
http://www.oznet.ksu.edu/library/crpsl2/c687.pdf has a picture of the seed head on the cover.
--
David W. Schultz

Milo is one of my beagles. The other one is named Herbie.
Mario

Hmmm, alternate universe? I don't remember Milo. Was he the one that dropped out just before they hit it big?
John, Paul, Ringo & George. The Banana Splits did have a member named Fleagle.
; )
Randy http://vernarockets.com /

Which remings me, wasn't the new Pope supposed to have taken the name "George Ringo"?
We need to ensure that actions by our government uphold the principles of a democratic society, accountable government and international law, and that all decisions are taken in a manner consistent with the Constitution.
On 9 Jun 2005 20:39:41 -0500, kaplow snipped-for-privacy@encompasserve.org.TRABoD (Bob Kaplow) wrote:

That's one of the Signs of The Apocalypse, isn't it...? :-)
Bob Kaplow wrote:

Milo is the reporter for the Bloom County Beacon.
-Kevin
J.A. Michel wrote:

Wrap tape around the battery holder; if you don't, sometimes the battery pops out.
-Kevin
On Wed, 8 Jun 2005 06:02:13 -0500, "J.A. Michel"

I think that's the final resting place of my Starburst. We initially thought it had drifted PAST the field, but no luck.
Eldred
Kurt wrote:

Yeah, beepers are often a big help in finding lost rockets. Not a gaurantee, but much better than nothing. Another good idea is to put your name, address, phone and email on the rocket. That way if someone finds it long after you've left, they might contact you.

Yeah, at the time I hadn't thought about beepers. After that incident, I bought a few Pratt MicroBeacons...<g> The place where I normally launch mid-high power doesn't have any high grass/crops. But I think I'll start using the beepers next time we go back to that farm.
Eldred

If you fly them long enough, you expect to lose or break them. But it really sucks when you lose them on the ground. I've got more than one that is just MIA...
We need to ensure that actions by our government uphold the principles of a democratic society, accountable government and international law, and that all decisions are taken in a manner consistent with the Constitution.
Bob Kaplow wrote:

The worst (IMHO, and I've done it more than once) is getting something ALL READY for a big launch, brand new, put all sorts of care into it, got all the engines / recovery systems for any possible launch conditions, pack it carefully, get to the launch, and break it when removing it from the car...
David Erbas-White
I think our fleet takes more damage from the road than from flying.
David Erbas-White wrote:

On Sun, 5 Jun 2005 12:50:31 -0500, "tater schuld"

Ask your wife. She'll know right down to the last penny
I just lost the top stage of a plans-built Apogee II - 2 C's to 2600 feet. It hooked over a lot more than I would have expected. The high clouds kept the sun away so the mylar streamer didn't sparkle. (Assuming it opened). I expected to lose it on that one. (I got the Commanche 3 back after I launched it on D-C-C, so I was still happy at the end of the day).
I'd put the total loss at about $5 because of the clear payload bay. It's nice building modrocs from discount-bin acquired designers specials and a chunk-of-balsa-from-a-friend, home-turned nosecone.
My son wonders why I haven't been getting a Level 1 rocket ready. I tell him that it's because I haven't finished learning everything I can from the little ones (half truth). I already spend enough on model sailplanes.
Personally, after seeing the cost of many of the Level 1 and Level 2 rockets, I don't think the rockets or the electronics are that bad. A nice model sailplane is easily going to run you $500 or more after you get all the servos, receiver, and battery pack into it. The biggest thing is feeding the beasts. I have an easier time getting a hundred bucks worth of electronics for the sailplanes than having to get the motors every time I want to launch:
"I thought you have 50 motors downstairs" "Yes, but there not the right ones"
--
Tom Koszuta
Western New York Sailplane and Electric Flyers
J.A. Michel wrote:

Yesterday was definitely hard on rockets! I think we lost more yesterday than we've ever lost in an entire weekend!
Not sure what was up with that; many of the folks who lost things have better track records than that!
-Kevin