rocket locating electronics

I spent about 15 minutes of precious launch time wandering through thick brush looking for my new astrocam today after it's maiden voyage... Any suggestions for good rocket locating sounders/flashers/radar beacons?

on another note - this was a brand new kit and it has two MAJOR issues

1) camera module is missing parts or instructions are wrong - the shutter does not "c*ck" 2) launch control box missing fingers for continuity key to interlock - remote is useless as key cannot complete circuit and it is a sealed box so I cannot just unscrew it and fix it.

Kind of pissed me off to be sitting there for 30 minutes building and debugging my ready to fly rocket kit. I was not expecting the camera module to be such a flimsy Piece of Crap. Were the original astrocam's as crappy or is it just the new american way of doing things by farming the work out to the lowest bidder to maximize profits?

I would be willing to pay the proper price for MadeInAmerica. not an inflated "gourmet" price but the acurate price reflecting the costs of not going with foreign components/slave labor.

Reply to
MikeT

brush looking for my

I'd vote for the Pratt Microbeacon.

At our last launch, I was reminded that I don't use mine often enough. A half dozen of us spent a couple hours trying to find somebody's lost rocket. That simple microbeacon would have saved us 75% of that search.

-- Eric Benner TRA # 8975 L2 NAR # 79398

Reply to
Eric Benner

Looks good. That plus a parabolic microphone would get me a cheap way to locate it

Reply to
MikeT

a group of freinds watching your rocket and knowing to stay "put" until you find your rocket are the best. have them sight a line from where they are standing to a landmark in line with the rockets path and you will be amazed at how accurate it is (although it is usualy 10% further than what you think)

had 60 flights saturday. not one rocket was lost.

now if we can get the three that are in trees........

Reply to
tater schuld

Pratt Micro Beacon!

I haven't seen the current model, but the earlier versions had a short piece of string that was tied to the shutter. You had to pull the string down and through the slot in the coupler section of the camera to "c*ck" it. When the camera was placed on the tube, that held the string in place -- ejection would release the string, triggering the shutter. Is the current model anything like that?

Reply to
RayDunakin

Reply to
Alex Mericas

Reading the directions and looking at the module I could not tell if that was the way it should work of not. there are dimples inside the housing that look like there should be some sort of clip. I did end up using a piece of masking tape on the body tube to hold the string tight. This was due to a very loose nose cone fit.

If that is how it is supposed to work I wish the directions were more clear. I will take a closed look tonite. maybe on the field I misread them. (yes, on field is a bad place for rocket assembly.)

I am looking atthe digital wireless cams now...mmmmm (following previous posts here) anyone make a lense mirror for them?

Reply to
MikeT

"MikeT" wrote in news:seHkb.822447$YN5.841168@sccrnsc01:

Estes astrocam right? When they first came out I could not wait to get one. With the original you even had to assemble the camera module. I ruined mine by getting airplane glue on the lens, the instructions in the kit recommended using airplane glue to put the lens in. Oh well..

Reply to
BrundlFly

I sell "first-surface" mirrors (aka "surface coated" or "optical" mirrors) for use with camera payloads. Three bucks including shipping.

Reply to
RayDunakin

looking for my

For model rocket sized stuff, the Pratt buzzer is the way to go. Just tell him to "Buzz Off" :-)

not "c*ck"

is useless as

and fix it.

We had a newbiw at yesterday's NIRA launch. One of their rockets pranged in the weeds, no chute, lawn dart. When we picked it up, it had spit the whole motor mount. I told him he must not have glued it in good. Turns out it was an RTF rocket. How do we tell someone in China to glue them together better?

Bob Kaplow

brush looking for my

does not "c*ck"

remote is useless as

it and fix it.

depends on the dialect

Reply to
IceAge

I would be interested in a DIY kit for setting this up in my next rocket. That plus beeper should make locations easier!!

Reply to
MikeT

I am so tired of made in other country goods and services. I want my money to stay in the USA. I would be willing to pay the appropriate price for an american made item. I do not buy just for price. If I get something I want it to last.

I don't want to buy a dozen POS made in china. I want to buy ONE Quality MADE IN USA.

Reply to
MikeT

Unfortunately, there are not enough of us who feel that way. Even Levi jeans are made overseas now... :-(

Mario Perdue NAR #22012 Sr. L2 for email drop the planet

"X-ray-Delta-One, this is Mission Control, two-one-five-six, transmission concluded."

Reply to
Mario Perdue

Which is why I don't buy American cars.

Reply to
RayDunakin

American cars don't have much 'American' content anyhow. My 'American' Dodge Intrepid was made in Canada.

-- Joe Michel NAR 82797 L1

Reply to
J.A. Michel

Reply to
Alex Mericas

I just bought my first made in USA car, and have been very happy with it. It's a Honda Civic.

The last car my dad bught before he died, a Ford Grand Marquis, was built with more than 50% foriegn parts count, to get around the CAFE mileage requirements. He HATED that car as long as he had it.

Bob Kaplow

My two Crapavans and even my Honda Odyssey were all made in Canada.

Bob Kaplow

Ahh give it a break dude. You speak about American's as though they make such quality items. I am sorry but the made in America slogan meant a lot more to me when it meant something to buy something American Automobiles, electronics, tools and so on. Everything from overseas. You will find very little made here so to say because American corporations continue to cut the throats of their own workers in favor of making it cheaper somewhere else. So a company decides to send the stuff off to another country to be made. Price comes down, people buy it. If anyone REALLY gave two bits about where something was made you would not have the mess that we have. yeah you and I as well.

brush looking for my

does not "c*ck"

remote is useless as

unscrew it and fix it.