Aerotech Arreaux question

Hi,

Building an Arreaux with my son. Is there a guideline for how much of the coupler should extend into the main body tube. Half way? We do plan to fly it with a payload. Does that make a difference.

Thanks,

Christopher and Bob

Reply to
Bob Mattaliano

The instructions (#5 on page 4) clearly say 2". That's about half-way.

No, it does not make a difference if you plan to fly it with a payload.

Reply to
David

Yes half way. It can be off a little but shouldn't be off so much as to make leave the coupling in a state where it might wiggle around in flight. I'd keep it to withing a 1/4".

Phil Stein

Phil Stein

Reply to
Phil Stein

Well, it clearly makes a difference, if you consider anything near the extremes (say 5% or 95%, both of which are BAD). WHen I'm using a coupler as a coupler, I try for 50:50. When using it on a payload section I fudge it a bit towards the disconnect side: maybe 60:40. I figure that the glue makes up for the shorter length.

Bob Kaplow

It all depends on the payload, too. If you're needing an inch or so, try gluing the bulkhead to the bottom of the coupler, rather than in the middle as the instructions suggest.

Reply to
Len Lekx

Thanks everyone. The instructions that came with the kit did not have payload bay assembly! Your answers and the file on the Aerotech website solved it. Live and learn.

Reply to
Bob Mattaliano

Bob M. I was missing that section of the plans from my Arreaux. We got pulled the missing sheet from the net. Ken

Reply to
Kenneth Jarosch