OT -- Back Ground Checks

"nothing they did up to that point was illegal". That was the Len-ism I was responding to. It's as if there wasn't anything anyone could have done to detect their activity.

-John

Reply to
John DeMar

He's the one jumping! But then, his older sister has been getting him into things like that all of their lives.

Randy

Reply to
Stephen DeArman

Moreover, if it's carried on, the baggage checkers never see it, right? They only handle the checked items.

The folks who might have been suspicious were the security checkpoint attendants (now replaced by the TSA).

Other than the draconian measures in place now, which manage to confiscate my 2" Swiss army knife about once a year, the only thing that could have stopped the hijackers would have been the other passengers.

Doug

Reply to
Doug Sams

John DeMar wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@removethis.syr.edu:

The context was things baggage handlers could detect. Next time I will be more precise.

len.

Reply to
Leonard Fehskens

I think that our dog catchers are appointed, not elected. ;-)

Mark Simpson

While I can't speak for all commercial airliners, I know that the Boeing models have a lockable cabin door. I think what happened on 9/11 is the cabin doors were opened at the demands of the hi-jackers. "Open the door or I'll slice her throat!" Slash! Grab another flight attendant. "Open the door NOW or I'll slice her throat too!"

Horrible, absolutely a horrible situation.

steve

Reply to
default

"default"

-------

Yes... they had no idea what the hell was happening. They did what was best with what they were trained to do.

Now of course, they would turn the plane upside down, and tell them to go fu*k themselfs.

HDS

Reply to
HDS

opened at the

Agreed. It was an unprecedented horror and that's why they got away with it 3 times on 9-11. Fortunately, cell phone calls from within plane #4 got the word to them that the hijackers were flying the hijacked planes into buildings. At that point, the rules of engagement changed. It was kill or be killed. Those same rules of engagement still exist on planes today which is why I think hijacking future planes will be almost impossible. Having flown down to Nashville and back to Detroit yesterday, I can assure you that if someone tried hijacking my plane I wouldn't go quietly and I doubt the

300 pound guy across the aisle wouldn't either. A policy of NO negotiations is the only way to go. That way, you take away all options.

Mark Simpson

We SHOULD blame the government that disarmed law abiding citizens, so they couldn't fight back against the terrorists. Return ALL our constitutional rights, and no one will ever sucessfully hijack a plane again.

Bob Kaplow

Secret Service? CIA? Other alphabet agencies?

Bob Kaplow

Yeah, it might end up being necessary, but it would undoubtedly be nasty - the existing regime would be far too vicious in its struggle to hold power.

(Visions of precision-guided bombs falling on American cities; squadrons of tanks roaring across the American countryside carrying soldiers with card decks depicting the "terrorist ringleaders"...)

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker

Hey would that work? I mean shouldn't we reconstruct the US instead of Iraq? I'll bet we have more bridges in need of repair than Iraq.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Jones

Would one of those cards feature Jerry Irvine?

In all seriousness, if they were aroud today, Washington, Jefferson, et al would most definitley be on those cards.

Bob Kaplow

If you are comparing me with them even in jest, thanks!

I tink it can be argued I am the George Washington of LMR and part of the constitutional signatories of HPR. John Hancock if you will.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Yeah, if the American Revolution were happening now, the US Federal Government would _be_ the "redcoats"! (Somehow "black-windbreakers-w/stenciled-yella-letters" doesn't have the same ring, does it?)

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker

Agreed

They do a pretty good job of it in a lot of countries these days, via several techniques. One method is to limit the infringements to the "fringe" groups. That way, everybody gets screwed a little, but only a few get screwed a lot. That way, the folks taking the bulk of the oppression are always too small a minority to have a chance of stirring up real trouble. This is what's currently happening in America.

Another very helpful method of preventing revolution is to use the educational system to brainwash the public. People aren't going to fight for rights that they don't even know exist.

It helps too if they can control/influence the media, either directly or indirectly. It doesn't have to be government ownership of the media -- it can simply be a matter of having most of the media owned/operated by people sympathetic with the more oppressive aspects of the government. This has been happening here for years.

Even without direct control, the government can spin the news. For instance, anyone attempting to fight back against government oppression is labled a "terrorist" or "extremist" and instantly becomes discredited in the eyes of the press. The "revolution" ends before it ever starts.

Due to the reasons outlined above, I have my doubts that an armed revolt ala

1776 could ever be accomplished in this day and age. And _that_ is the most frightening thought of all.
Reply to
RayDunakin

Heheh!

Ever read a book called "The Mouse That Roared"? Tiny, obscure country declares "war" on USA with the intention of quickly negotiating a surrender and benefitting from our generous post-war "reconstruction" efforts.

Warning: Rocket content! In the sequel titled "The Mouse On The Moon", this tiny country discovers its wine is a potent rocket fuel and beats both the USA and the Soviets to the moon.

Reply to
RayDunakin

Actually, the country was "Grand Fenwick".

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker

Fenwick?

Reply to
Darren J Longhorn

Are you seceeding Jerry? ; )

Randy PS Don't ask the French for any help. They'll have you surrender to Baja and then where will you be?

Reply to
Randy