Re: Cannon Fuse for Airstarts

Can I use cannon fuse for reliable airstarts with black powder motors? Did

> some historical digging in Google on this topic but found nothing > overwhelming either way. Thoughts? > > Louis > >

I would say yes.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

I don't know about that, but I use it on igniters!!!

Reply to
Stephen

Really?

Isn't it reputed to have (and correlated from my actual use) an unpredictable burn rate?

On my naval mortar I've seen an inch burn in what would seem to be a millisecond, and at other times it would extinguish before igniting the charge..

*I* wouldn't trust it..

tah

Reply to
hiltyt

30 seconds per foot. I have used green fise (cannon, visco) for staging delay, for alternative to motor delay and in practice I find it to be just fine, especially in dynamic flight conditions. Next best thing to Thermalite and with dip technology it can be used as a composite igniter as well. "Safety fuse" is back!

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

I have used it for different things other than airstarts , it is very unpredictable when it come to burn rate. You may want to try dipping it in paraffin wax to try & even that out.

JD

Reply to
JDcluster

As others have mentioned, the burn rate can be uneven. Usually though, it tends to burn pretty slow, so you'd have to stick with fairly short lengths to avoid late ignition.

Reply to
RayDunakin