Re: Nit-picky launch controller question (or opinion)

I working on implementing the dead-man launch switch functionality for my

> controller. Here's my problematic scenario: > > Normally, one would immediately abort if the launch switch is released. But > what about a cluster launch wherein stopping the launch (or attempting to) > might actually result in a subset of the cluster's engines being ignited > with the result being a spectacular and potentially more dangerous flight > than if the launch had not been interrupted? > > This answer may be affected by the fact that the processor will be measuring > current flows in each > of the igniters and so could possibly have a "bit" more information about > igniter status (e.g. one of three has already "gone open", so the launch > should not be aborted). > > Any thoughts? > >

Well, the traditional dead-man safety is used precisely because control systems may fail; it needs to "safe" the system regardless of any other controls.

It seems to me that a manual, pushbutton launch power switch IS a dead-man safety. Perhaps a power switch (dead-man) AND a launch initiate switch/button would work for your concern. Launch initiate could trigger a set firing sequence (GO, as long as any igniter has current flow) but the entire process is terminated/safed when the power button (foot switch?) is released.

Reply to
Gary