Re: Launch controller work-in-porgress

Over on abmr -

> > Just thought I would post of picture of my latest project (that is, 1/2 of > it). This is the hand-held controller portion of my 900 MHz launch system, > pad unit(s) to be built soon (hopefully). > > Control Unit Features: > Manages up to 999 pad units (grin)

The ultimate torture rack :-(

Keyed lock-out switchEach pad unit controls up to 8 pads > Dead-man launch button > 6-volt gel cell with built-in charger > RS232 connect to PC for future control enhancement > 900 MHz communication to pad unit with spoof-proof channel security > Bargraph LED for RF comm signal strength > Simultaneous (cluster) launching > Selectable interval launching > Individual igniter continuity/short indicators > Individual arming buttons and indicators > Indicators for FET fault, igniter fault, communication fault, pad-unit > voltage, control unit voltage > PIC-based > etc. > > Pad Unit Features (no picture yet): > Manages up 8 pads > Supports dead-man launch button functionality > 12 or 6-volt gel cell (strap selected) with built-in charger > Bargraph LED for RF comm signal strength > Individual igniter continuity/short indicators > Indicators for FET fault, igniter fault, communication fault, pad-unit > voltage > PIC-based > etc.
Reply to
Jerry Irvine

bit: whats the range? I want one but for only one pad..... can you interface a strobe light and or loud small beeper for a pad unit.....to warn people its getting ready to go off? You going to publish the schematic at some future point?

shockie B)

Reply to
shockwaveriderz

Pad unit will likely have both a strobe and a speaker, as they are planned for. I haven't yet done the schematics for those two little circuits, but not a big deal. Control unit will also have a speaker.

This design is about a factor of 7992x overkill for what you want - even the minimum configuration is for 8 pads. Actually, the reason I started this is that I wanted a good cluster launcher, one that could independently test all igniters for continuity and shorts. So if you were to do clustering or drag-racing, the min config might still be appropriate.

Range is unknown as of yet. So much depends on antenna selection, location on the box, etc. Will just have to wait for field testing.

As to schematic publishing, I will consider. I still haven't written any code for the PICs yet, so this project is likely several months from completion (especially given that I've got 2-3 trips planned for the near-midterm)

BTW, 2nd half of second line under "Control Unit Features" should read just "Keyed lock-out switch"

Reply to
bit eimer

So did you use a LINX TX / RX module? I built a hybrid launch controller, in the near turm I installed a cable between the lauch controller and pad box. It worked great last weekend when I fired my Hypertek hybrid from it. It is PIC based 16F628, with built in UART.

Reply to
Robert DeHate

Yes, Linx TX/RX; I have a back-up RS232 link designed (and built) in, but mostly to support debug during code dev. Don't want to have to worry about the RF channel reliability at that time. This also allows me to emulate the Pad Unit with the PC while debugging the Control Unit and vice versa.

Using 16F877s -20MHz (but only 'cause I don't know yet what performance I actually need).

Reply to
bit eimer