Re: ROL NEWS--RangePro 1000 Impulse Meter Available From RCS

time
Robert DeHate wrote:

They are.
-dave w
Not necessarily. I use AN just as much as I use AP and I find both of them easy to work with. Usually, the uncured ANCP has the consistancy of play-doh, whereas uncured APCP is more like cookie dough or peanut butter. Both propellants can perform just as well as each other in a motor, all you need to do is tinker with a few simple parameters to get the kind of burn profile you want. Hence the name "experimental."
I have no experience with the other oxidizers, so I can't speak on their behalf.
-Brian McDermott

Brian McDermott wrote:

Reading back, I missed the bit in the prior message that this was specifically in reference to composite solids - "And I don't mean hybrid or liquid." (I was specifically thinking of liquid ones.)
I suspect procedures and characteristics for most of the useful nitrate and perchlorate salts are probably fairly similar in general. (I can't really say much about them - my amateur involvement has been with H2O2 rather than "hand-made" solids...)
-dave w

<< Usually, the uncured ANCP has the consistancy of play-doh, whereas uncured APCP is more like cookie dough or peanut butter.

How do you get these propellents into the casting tubes without having voids??

Vacuum process and tamp like hell. A vibrating table does wonders. Of course, it is easier to do low solids that are pourable. I've done up to 88% solids. PITA. Pre-wetting the casting tube with resin is almost a must.
Mike F.
I found that vacuum processing is really unnecessary with the typical ANCP propellants. Since it is so thick, all you need to do is roll it into little blobs with a gloved hand, then pack it into the casting tube a little bit at a time with a dowel. It is HTPB-based, so it bonds to the casting tube fairly well.

How close are you coming to theoretical density though? I try to get 98% or better, otherwise, it WILL be a problem with the motors that I typically cast.
Mike F.
Hmm, That could sustain the hobby. How many people use thoes motors? I have never seen one at a launch. Does RCS sell the parts for that? ;-) RDH8

buy