Re: ROL NEWS--RangePro 1000 Impulse Meter Available From RCS

I gotta believe water is higher. There's tons of folk out there with waterbottle pages.

Joel. phx

Reply to
Joel Corwith

Don't forget the guys down around Huntsville that used N2O/asphault for their balloon launched HALO project. It isn't exactly a top ten propellant, but they got about every newton/second they could get out of the "dirt". :)

tim

Reply to
Tim

Now that we have an initial list, how about we start some sort of poll or long term study to identify what types are more popular in REALITY not merely one guy's opinion?

I am certain ieas.org would cheerfully support any such effort and publish the results, and service all of those folks.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Not necessarily. I use AN just as much as I use AP and I find both of them easy to work with. Usually, the uncured ANCP has the consistancy of play-doh, whereas uncured APCP is more like cookie dough or peanut butter. Both propellants can perform just as well as each other in a motor, all you need to do is tinker with a few simple parameters to get the kind of burn profile you want. Hence the name "experimental."

I have no experience with the other oxidizers, so I can't speak on their behalf.

-Brian McDermott

Reply to
Brian McDermott

Reading back, I missed the bit in the prior message that this was specifically in reference to composite solids - "And I don't mean hybrid or liquid." (I was specifically thinking of liquid ones.)

I suspect procedures and characteristics for most of the useful nitrate and perchlorate salts are probably fairly similar in general. (I can't really say much about them - my amateur involvement has been with H2O2 rather than "hand-made" solids...)

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker

How do you get these propellents into the casting tubes without having voids??

Reply to
RayDunakin

Vacuum process and tamp like hell. A vibrating table does wonders. Of course, it is easier to do low solids that are pourable. I've done up to 88% solids. PITA. Pre-wetting the casting tube with resin is almost a must.

Mike F.

Reply to
Mfreptiles

I found that vacuum processing is really unnecessary with the typical ANCP propellants. Since it is so thick, all you need to do is roll it into little blobs with a gloved hand, then pack it into the casting tube a little bit at a time with a dowel. It is HTPB-based, so it bonds to the casting tube fairly well.

Reply to
Brian McDermott

How close are you coming to theoretical density though? I try to get 98% or better, otherwise, it WILL be a problem with the motors that I typically cast.

Mike F.

Reply to
Mfreptiles