Re: What's your longest construction time?

You've got me beat on build time, but how about the time between prep and flight... In 1997, my Mom gave me two rockets that I had built and finished and prepped, but never flown. They were an Estes Goblin and an Estes Saros. They both had B engines installed in the mount, and the old style igniters installed, the kind where you had to roll the little bit of cotton to hold the wires apart. I went to Toys R Us, got an Estes starter set to get a launcher, changed out the igniters and flew both rockets on their maiden flights successfully. I had built them in 1971, so they were 26 year old engines and 26 years between prep and first flight. You can see me with my SAROS on the front page of the MASA website. Both rockets have flown a number of times since then as well. I wrote reviews of both of them on EMRR as well.

I figure some might find this amusing. > > I found some ancient rocket parts from my youth, a BT5 mated to a BT20 > by a hollowed out balsa transition piece. Obviously I had planned to > build something that could hold a larger recovery device than a normal > 13mm powered bird could. So I slapped some fins and a nosecone on it, > dubbed it the "Retro Rocket", and have had a ball flying it. And it only > took 35 some years to finish too, that's got to be some kind of record. > Something else I noticed as I finished the thing. The older BT20s were > larger than the present ones. Modern plastic nosecones are too small, > the ID of the body tube is bigger than the cone's OD. Ah well, it should > have a balsa cone anyway, more thematic. > > Chuck >
Reply to
hidden

Yep, there you got me beat. The longest prep time for me was prepping at one launch and flying at the next....4 weeks. Should have been longer, like never, Lil' Nukes don't fly well on the recommended low end D12's I found out....

Chuck

hidden wrote:

Reply to
Zathras of the Great Machine

I couldn't help reading your Goblin review because mine is just above it over on EMRR, but until tonight I'd never seen the Saros review. Very cool. Did you swap out new shock cords or just get lucky? Also, if anyone is reading this forum for rocketry purposes and has an old Saros cone lying around, consider sendin it to Mike Schmidt at Moldin' Oldies. He can make a reproduction of it so that people like David can re-equip their oldies without a trip to Ebay and a second mortgage. And as far as the topic at hand, I was embarrassed to have started a clone of the Estes Andromeda in the spring of 2001 and still having it sit unfinished. Thanks. I feel a lot better now.

Reply to
fishhead

Eldred

Though I don't if there are sources that will tell you such & such a kit was produced between, say 1972 & 1977, go to:

go to "Estes Publications" & you can check the old catalogs for which years certain kits were made. -- Richard "ah...Aerotech price increase, huh?" Hickok

Reply to
Rhhickok

The rat bastards!!

Dealers have H73's again. One of my old favorites.

Reply to
Phil Stein

Ok, it will take more 'studying', but that works. Thanks!

Eldred

Reply to
EldredP

fishhead

In answer to your question about the old rubber shock cord, I probably noticed it was too brittle to be relaible and replaced it right away after the first or second flight. On the Goblin, I just had a slight tug after a flight recovery, and it broke clean off, which made me glad it didn't happen at apogee. I will have to find this molden oldies you mentioned. Do you have the URL?

On topic, one that got away (my Mom swears she doesn't remember) is my half built Interceptor. Since Mom probably threw it out, it will never get finished unless I buy an upscale clone kit some day. I distinctly remember gluing half a toothpick on the end of the fins, and gluing the weapons pods together but don't remember much beyond that...

DaFerg

Reply to
hidden

Not quite what I was looking for, but a valuable reference nontheless. Thanks!

Eldred

Reply to
EldredP

Okay, KIT LISTS - TAKE 2! QUIET ON THE SET! THIS is what I meant to post.

for the stupidity. I'd had a bad night. Tonight is turning out even worse.

Reply to
fishhead

has been busy lately with a lot of Estes stuff, so drop him an e-mail if you're interested in a particular cone. I know he has the Alien Invader and Manta Bomber cones, and I recently sent him one of my Strike Fighter cones. I'm currently in the middle of a Centuri Taurus cloning with Moldin' Oldies parts. Even with my leaden building skills it's turning out nice.

fishhead