Robert Goddard - Aa small step, a giant leap for mankind

Looking for Robert Goddard

It was his flight to fancy that laid the foundation for the first flight into space. Robert Hutchings Goddard, the Father of Modern Rocketry, was an American expert of rocket research who is recognized as a remarkable experimenter as well as an engineering genius. We have seen Dennise Tito along with Russians in space.

More information about Robert Goddard

We have seen the landing on the moon " a small step, a giant leap for mankind", to quote Neil Armstrong, the first man to step on moon. We have had Alan Sheppard, Valentina Treschkova, and of course Yuri Gagarin in space.

Guess what would have happened to all the above greats were it not for the rocket that propelled them into space?

Watch the more Famouse biography

Bits

Very nice site!

Goddard was also Jewish (his father was orthodox and named after a 7th Centry B.C. Jewish prophet who portented the fall of Nineveh). Goddard was also partially funded by Charles Lindberg who relayed Goddard's research to the German army and rocket scientists.

Reply to
lunarlos

About Charles Linburg, he sure have a complicated life... I read that he is the first that flew across the atlantic, but then his daughter or something was kidnapped and murdered or something, whats with that?

Reply to
tai fu

It was his infant son. The boy was kidnapped from his bedroom on the second floor of the Lindberg estate. A ransom note was produced and the ransom paid. Days later the infant's body was found in the woods near the house. He had been dead a from the onset. Bruno Hauptman, a local handyman and German immigrant was tried and convicted of the crime. He rode 'ol sparky to glory or damnation depending whether or not one believes he was guilty of anything more than being a Kraut in post-WWI America. (FWIW, I think he did it) Any way, the death of the child was a national shocker and led to the so-called Lindberg Law that mandated the death penalty for all kidnapping. It has since been repealed.

Not only was Lindberg a national hero, he also was a leader in a nationalist group called "America First" This group was openly pacifist and argued against the US coming to the aid of Great Britain at the onset of WWII. Later, it was revealed that Lindberg had at least one bastard child from an affair and that he was an ardent anti-Semite. He died about 20-25 years ago at his home in Hawaii.

Reply to
Reece Talley

Lets not also forget that Linberg was a NAZI sympathyzer and a Eugenist ... one that believes the world can be bettered through selective breeding ... which honestly given people ... isn't such a bad idea ... He had 3 sets of families ... one here in America and two in Europe ... guess he could afford them ... lucky him.

He died in disgrace because he openly opposed Rosevelt with his America First party. He was investigated by the FBI and not allowed to fight for the United States in WWII. He also spent more time in Germany during the war than he did in the U.S.. In Germany he was a frequent guest of Goering, and a national hero there ... my oh my ... hope this sheds light on your question ...

"Show me a hero and I will show you a BUM" - Pappy Greg Boyington USMC Retired/Deceased.

Reply to
lunarlos

FWIW.... according to a program I recently saw on the kidnapping of his child many discrepencies were apparent. The Ladder to "supposedly" take his child from the upstairs room, could not have been used as it was not sunk into the ground near the window. As anyone over 100 lbs has found a ladder does sink into the ground and forms depressions where it had been. I think the baby died either by SIDS or was accidently killed and Herr Hauptman was a very conveiniant scape goat. We wouldn't want to embaress a national hero now would we.

Reply to
nitram578

Goddard was also partially funded by Charles Lindberg who relayed Goddard's research to the German army and rocket scientists.

I was under the impression that Goddard's funding was not provided by Lindbergh directly, but rather that Lindbergh assisted in obtaining financial backing from the Guggenheim family, as well as other sources.

Reply to
bob352