Rocket Challange, Tech aspect.

Hi,

When reading the link Jerry posted

I was reminded of an aspect that I thought worthy of an independent thread.

That being the science side of rocketeering. The film was remarkably lacking in the science involved. Ya might say that is because of a lack of interest, but I think that it is a self fulfilling thing.

Our current culture is deficient in scientific interest. Kids have pro jocks as figures to admire. This is wrong on so many levels that I will not insult you by explaining them.

This sort of thing contributes to the dumbing down of America.

OTOH... rocketry is a excellent subject to draw kids into an interest in science. The show completely missed that opportunity. Perhaps they will do another and include some science.

They might be surprised to see many viewers rise to the occasion and find it interesting

Perhaps some of you already promote knowledge of the science side.Perhaps some of you could do more, eh?

BTW... Big rockets are cool, but if you want to draw people into the hobby, you show some small rockets with easily obtained kits and motors.

As I recall... the only ones they showed... did not even ignite.

-- Bill

I am a member of the rabble in good standing. -- Westbrook Pegler --

Reply to
Bill Schowengerdt

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 14:01:30 -0700, In the heat of the moment, "Joel Corwith" posted: .

Then I stand corrected. I suppose I missed that part when I was fixing food to keep my fat. :))

-- Bill

I am a member of the rabble in good standing. -- Westbrook Pegler --

Reply to
Bill Schowengerdt

I recall that most of the little ones flew. They had some difficulty with the complexity of the record setting launch, which went on it's third attempt (not all flew), but the 3 way drag race (with the kids) went off just fine.

Joel. phx

Reply to
Joel Corwith

I, too, missed the smaller stuff and it is through those (models, LMR) that most people will get into rocketry, even after seeing a mach 2 HPR and a P motor going off on TV.

I have found nothing to spark a student's interest in physics like rockets. They are also a good transition into electronics, mathematics, and chemistry (at the high school level).

I think a show about TARC could be popular, especially among teens. Competition, education, and rockets. Show a serious side to the hobby.

Reply to
Gary

They also had a short segment focusing on three kids who were launching Estes kits of the EZ snap together variety.

Reply to
Roger Ivie

They showed quite a few successful low power launches, not just the 280+ Mosquito launch.

Reply to
RayDunakin