Safe design for N2O tank enclosure

I'm busily collecting pieces-parts for launching hybrids, and want to build an enclosure that will house the nitrous tank, solenoids, and have a bit of storage space. The main point is to protect the tank valve & solenoid assemblies.

Is there a preferred position for the nitrous tank? I've seen some launch photos where the tanks are vertical, others are horizontal. If there is no particular operational or safety preference, I'd prefer the horizontal position. I'm aware of the transport situation, I'm wondering specifically about launch conditions.

TIA for any input.

Kevin OClassen NAR 13578

Reply to
Kevin OClassen

I guess it depends what kind of tank you have. If it has a dip tube, then it needs to be upright. If it doesn't, then it needs to be upside down or at an angle with the valve lower than the tank bottom.

Les.

Reply to
Les Kramer

Reply to
Alex Mericas

Thanks. A call to the organization that sold me the tank reveals no dip tube.

Kevin OClassen

Reply to
Kevin OClassen

Kevin, My son and I made up a "wagon" sort of thing that holds the launch battery and all the other stuff. It's eassy to transport in the back of my truck and keeps everything togetheronce at the launch site.

Tony

Reply to
Tony

Then what you need is to have the tank upside down and need to build a wood frame, I used 2x4's in a box formation, 4 uprights connected by smaller cross bars. Leave the bottom cross bars up high enough so you have what looks like legs that leaves room for the valves/solenoid to clear the ground. I have mine setup so that i can slide the frame over the tank while it's standing upright and then i can filp it over. If you want i can send you a pic via email or post it on alt.binaries.models.rockets. let me know.

Koen

Reply to
Koen O. Loeven

Reply to
Alex Mericas

You might want to think about insulation for the tank. Keeping it cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter. Maybe a wrap of water heater blanket? Or an appropriately sized icebox? Or maybe foamboard around the outside of the framework holding the tank?

I noticed later > I'm busily collecting pieces-parts for launching hybrids, and want to build

Reply to
Will Marchant

Reply to
Alex Mericas

In Mojave they use a steel drum filled with ice. Fits a couple of tanks.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Thanks for the thoughts. Oddly enough, the insulation will be more to keep the tank warm than cold. Here the temp goes above 70 about 5 times a year, for 6 or 7 minutes at a time. Well, maybe not quite that extreme, but it's not tropical. Also, since our best launch field is a frozen lake (waivered to 9000) I'm hoping to shoot in winter as well. I had considered cannabalizing one of those hi-tech warming-cooling "coolers" to try to maintain tanks temps in extreme consitions, and may still do so if conditions warrant.

Exactly upside down it is. N2O is not free, and I'm a cheapskate.

Kevin OClassen

Reply to
Kevin OClassen

You can get electric blankets specifically designed to heat nitrous tanks for car usage. But they seem to like to run their systems closer to 900 PSI, I've heard. And people have commented on the Yahoo Hybrids group

that heaters use too much electrical power.

Other people seem to leave their tank in a warm car and only haul it out for their launch and then put the tank back in the car while they recycle for the next flight.

Frozen lake, eh? Are people ice-fishing out there too? If they heat their huts you might be able to put the tank in there in between launches.

Remember that Nitrous is a powerful anesthetic! Be very careful > Thanks for the thoughts. Oddly enough, the insulation will be more to keep

Reply to
Will Marchant