Scratchbuilt Altimeter

Hello all, I am a recent BAR, having come back to the hobby at a ripe old age.(Never mind) I am wondering if anyone has any idea where I can find info on building a Barometric altimeter. As light and small as possible, of course. I am hoping that some manufacturer has an inexpensive, one chip solution for this. TIA, Ed

Reply to
Edward Deerly

Ed, There are allot of resources out there for you. Allot depends upon your capabilities. By that I mean things like soldering skills, microcontroller programming skills and the like. Also it depends upon your motivation. If you want to build your own altimeter simply to build one, for the electronics aspect. Or you want to build one to save money.

I tossed together some basic info at http:\\

\Roctronics\You can pick through the schematics to see how things are wired.

Check out http:\\

\ to see some expensive yet small altimeters. (I consider $60 expensive for such toys)

There are always things in the works, if you are interested in doing some beta testing of a new peak reading altimeter that's not listed on the site let me know.

Reply to
Robert DeHate

Wow!! That is a nice system you've put together! I really like your modular approach. My soldering skills are pretty good (Navy Soldering school), and I have done some experimenting in the past with the 68HC11 micro during my robotics phase. I guess I want to do it for the challenge...the ready-made stuff isn't really too terribly expensive. How many people are actively involved with this project?

Reply to
Edward Deerly

Edward, Active... Thats a relative term. People get excited then it dies down. There might be one or two currently working on it. I work on it off and on. I have used that controller for things ranging from a launch controller to a data translator for my computer.

It at least gives you a starting point.

Reply to
Robert DeHate

Wickman sells a starter kit:

Perfectflite used to sell "assemble yourself" altimeters and timers, I bought one of each and then traded in the altimeter for a prebuilt after the timer took me over an hour to build. You could try bugging them for a kit version of their latest altimeter.
This is one of the coolest projects in my opinion.. it's not tiny, but it's got awesome features:

-Dan

Reply to
Dan Chandler