Small diameter phenolic kits?

My faithful Rocket Vision Solar-Venture finally bit the dust at my most recent launch. I was wondering if anyone was selling small phenolic kits like Rocket Vision Rugged-Rockets line used to be? I looked at the Public Missiles Tiny Pterodactyl, but I would really like something with a sub-2" diameter. If Public Missiles sold a shorter Cirrus for use with E and F motors, that would be exactly what I would want. Thanks in advance to all who respond.

Leslie

Reply to
Leslie Houk

Hi Leslie,

what properties are you looking for in a small phenolic rocket.

in rockets that small, the phenolic adds lots of weight.

Reply to
AlMax

In one word, indestructability. I don't mind the weight, but I like rockets that can survive a 500' fall onto pavement when the parachute doesn't open. :) Also, I like the sheer novelty of having a phenolic rocket that small.

Reply to
Leslie Houk

500' onto pavement, and you're asking about phenolic? Have you ever actually USED phenolic?

Cardboard is more likely to survive than phenolic is.

Instead of investing in expensive tubes, invest in reliable recovery systems.

-Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Trojanowski

Personally I would suggest the smaller kits from Loc Precision

The tubes are spiral wound paper, but will take a lot of punishment. I would suggest an Aura, Weasal or Legacy. I have flown a Legacy on various combinations from 3 x C6 (Without the motor mount) to a G64. The Loc kits are not suitable for Estes D or E motors, but fly great on Aerotech E, F & G motors. I own about 10 Loc kits and have always been very satisfied with the quality of parts. My smallest kit would either be the legacy or the lil nuke. My biggest is the King Viper III, which I have flown sucessfully on clusters of Pro38 motors.

The PML Cirrus Dart could probably be flown without the payload bay on F motors, but if you are really set on an indestructible rocket, I would suggest looking at composite tubing. Hawk Mountain

sells a kit called the Raptor. It is a near minimum diameter kit, weighing approximately 14oz. I have heard several good reviews about this kit.

HTH

Rob House UKRA 1258 - Level 2

Reply to
Rob House

I've seen Phenolic shatter doing that, and fiberglass tube shatter as well.

LOC tubes will put a dent in the end, and I can bend them back out from the dent on a far fall.

If you really want a phenolic tube, call redarrowhobbies.com

Dave has some in quite a few sizes.

Reply to
AlMax

Well, I wouldn't quite say that about the phenolic rocket I flew in C SD at NARAM last week. BT20 sized. The stuff is so brittle we used to call it "crackshaft"!

Reply to
Bob Kaplow

Rob,

Thanks for telling me about the Raptor. Do you have any URLs to the reviews you mention?

Leslie

Rob House wrote:

Reply to
Leslie Houk

I've been looking at this kit as well. Heres the review I was reading.

-Aaron

Reply to
Aaron