Southern Thunder 2004 Pictures

I just finished processing the pictures from this past weekend's Southern Thunder 2004 launch in Manchester, TN.

492 made the cut. The weather wasn't great yesterday but was very nice on Saturday and there were a lot of cool launches. The Saturday night launch was pretty cool as well.

If anyone thinks rocketry is dying, you need to check out the Saturday 7:30am - 1pm gallery, page 5, image ABA01_0090. This is what it's all about...

- Marc

Klinger Photography

Marc Klinger

Excellent pics. Tnx so much for sharing.

Stones

Reply to
stones

Reply to
Dlogan

Yes ! Excellent photos !! I've ordered a few picks............of my rockets :) Too bad you didn't get photos of the SLI College rockets; They had a bit of problems . The first "SOUTHERN THUNDER" was a blast !!

Reply to
Ray Cole

Marc, On behalf of the Southern Thunder 2004 organizers (HARA, MC2, and SMART), I wanted to express our thanks to you for making the trek from Michigan to photograph our event. We were all waaaaay too busy to take any photographs ourselves, and even if we did, we'd probably mostly only have gotten photos of empty launch pads and/or rocket plumes. Unfortunately, the gloomy weather forecast scared a bunch of folks away from an otherwise gorgeous launch day on Saturday. But, the diehard flyers, who braved the sunshine, warm temps, and low winds, made some awesome flights!

The quality of your photography is as awesome as ever! Thanks again for making the trek down. I sincerely hope that you'll be able to grace us with your presence for coming events.

Best regards, Chuck

Reply to
Chuck Pierce

Thanks for the order Ray. You should get your pictures soon!

Yeah, the high school teams really showed up the college teams with their launches! I think all the high school teams got their rockets in the air and the bad weather on Sunday prevented the college teams from attempting again the following day.

It was good to see so many young folks interested in rocketry!

- Marc

Klinger Photography

Marc Klinger

Nice photos!

Randy

Reply to
Randy

Cool photos Marc...Missed you at Three Oaks!

BTW: Marc does great work...with quick turnaround....last year I ordered pics of my L3 attempt on a mug.......It was delivered fast and is outstanding.....It holds a place of honor on my desk....The shots are truly awesome...they capture the intensity in a very dramatic way....

Mark A Palmer TRA 08542 L3

Reply to
Mark A Palmer

Thanks for the kind words Mark!

Yeah, I was all set to attend Three Oaks on 4/24 and 4/25, but the delay put it on the same weekend as Southern Thunder which I had already committed to do.

Last I checked, the weather forecast didn't look too good for last weekend in Michigan. How did the launch turn out?

- Marc

Klinger Photography

Marc Klinger

It was great...a little laid back for a Three Oaks Launch. A few rockets flew on Friday...3 flights on Saturday...we scrubbed at noon due to rain....Sunday was great...sunny and 48 degrees...a little wind ...we put up about 50 or so flights. However the company and food was great and we had a lot of fun.

Mark A Palmer TRA 08542 L3

Reply to
Mark A Palmer

FYI, the flightcards were totalled up last night, with this result:

Class #Flown ~Total Ns

--------------------------------------------- A 16 40 B 23 115 C 42 420 D 17 340 E 13 364 F 14 840 G 21 2184 H 18 3150 I 10 5900 J 15 15000 K 4 6000 L 3 12000 M 2 16000 Unknown 2 **** ------------- TOTAL 200 62353

There were some night-flights and Sunday launches without flightcards; so, the flight/impulse count should be a bit higher.

cp

Reply to
Chuck Pierce