Space Shuttle Rocket/Glider

Are there any Space shuttle rockets on the market that rocket up to about 300-500 ft and glide back to the ground? Thanks...

Jet Red wrote:

Are there any Space shuttle rockets on the market that rocket up to about 300-500 ft and glide back to the ground? <<<<<
Since Izzy has hit on the available stuff, and the old 1/72 NCR shuttle (which was a bit marginal to fly) is a long OOP high-priced collector's kit, I'll mention this option.
If you mainly wanted to see an orbiter glide back, there is a styrofoam shuttle orbiter that is made by Guillow's (Formerly made by North Pacific. And years ago Guillow's used to have a built-up model airplane style balsa orbiter that was not meant to fly, this foam one is not that one).
It can be piggybacked on suitably large carrier rockets. The simplest and most fun way is to do it with two orbiters belly to belly so they equal out asymmetric mass/drag/lift issues.
Below is a googled copy where I posted info on it a year and a half ago.
- George Gassaway
******************* From: GCGassaway ( snipped-for-privacy@aol.com) Subject: [Announce] Shuttle styrofoam glider is BACK! View: Complete Thread (2 articles) Original FormatNewsgroups: rec.models.rockets Date: 2002-04-13 17:57:21 PST
Some of you might recall that North Pacific used to sell a styrofoam shuttle orbiter. First came out around 1980 or so I think.
One small kit manufacturer (Custom?) even had a kit out a few years ago that used two of those foam orbiters piggyback on a core rocket booster.
Then North Pacific quit making the orbiters some years ago.
Today...in a hobby shop I ran across a foam glider by Guillows. GUILLOWS? Yep, it seems that Guillows bought North Pacific a few years ago, and they have re-released the foam orbiter!
This is an easy glider to rig up as a parasite glider, better still to use two of them which then solves the problem of being pulled to one side if there is just one.
Most important spec: $3.50!
Mass, 24 grams.
Size, 10 span, by 12 long not including plug-in vertical tail (rudder).
The scale works out to about 1/110-1/115 if you go by the length, or about 1/94 if you go by wingspan (the span is a bit over-scale but most people would not notice).
I know a few months ago someone was asking about this glider for possibly making a full-stack shuttle. Well, a 1/110 shuttle would use BT-55 SRBs and 3 ET, and this would be pretty good for one of that scale that's meant for sport flying. A shuttle based on BT-60 SRBs would be about 1/90 scale, sort of close for the span but the orbiter would look a little smallish.
There is a small photo of this orbiter being used on a 1/90 shuttle stack from a 1988 test, at this url:
http://members.aol.com/narshuttle/Clustershuttle_1988.JPG
BTW - Dont take that photo as an endorsement of using engines in the SRBs to fly a shuttle model. The D12s didnt ignite to the exact same thrust levels so as it left the rod it yawed to one side, tipping off to a 45 degree angle by the time it was 10 feet off the ground.
This foam orbiter is not ideal for an accurate shuttle model. But for a fun-flying sport model, either with a stack or as a piggyback, its nice. And its BACK.
- George Gassaway

Hi all,
We stock the Das Modell Space Shuttle kit.....made in Germany. Nice quality kit if you can get round the instructions.....they weren't too hot in German to begin with, and after a rather "home made" translation.....well, you get the picture!! Probably best for someone with previous building experience I would say.
We actually sell more of these kits into the USA than here at home, though I don't know if any reviews have been posted anywhere yet.
There are a number of interesting models in the Das Modell lineup, including V-1, V-2, Wasserfall, Ariane and Ariane 5, Bachem Natter etc. All are on the website at the URL below in the "rocket kits" section.
Hope this helps.
All the best from the UK,
-- Andy Deepsky Rocket Supplies http://www.modelrockets.co.uk

to about

shuttle (which

kit, I'll

styrofoam shuttle

Pacific. And years

orbiter that

simplest and most

equal out

Here's a link to plans (on page 4) for using it on a quad Big Bertha, if you really want to be different...
http://www.mn-rocketry.net/masa/planet/masa_Vol6-6.pdf
--tc
Jet Red wrote:

Hi, What about the Space Shuttle from Das Modell? Made by a german firm. And you can buy them from UK as well (The shuttle uses D12-3/5 motors.) See: http://www.deepsky.i12.com/das_modell_rocket_kits.htm And for a review see; http://www.rocketreviews.com/reviews/kits/das_space_shuttle.html Maybe this is something for you?
Best regards Robert http://home.online.no/~gibala/rockets/index.htm
Jet,
I'll be back in production of the "Bag O' Parts" Centuri NASA Space Shuttle kit (KC-6) in April/ May of 2004
Mike Jerauld Blast From The Past Rocketry
www.blastfromthepastrocketry.com