tansitions

Help I need a transition for a special project. It needs to be able to fit a 3.9 tube on the bottom and a 2.16 or there abouts on top similar in profile to the BMS TA 550. Also I need a conical nose cone similar to the Estes/ BMS BNC 5S. Any help would be appreciated as I am not looking forward to making these from fiberglass.

-- Dale Martin NAR 80678 L2 N0JFM

Reply to
Dale Martin

Jerry Irvine

that particular transition is a tough one

I gave it a shot, but no joy

sorry :(

- iz

Dale Mart> Help I need a transition for a special project. It needs to be able to fit

Reply to
Ismaeel Abdur-Rasheed

Thank you Jerry! Just what I needed to make one if needed.

Reply to
Dale Martin

I made some transitions recently by fibre glassing cardboard. Much easier than I anticipated. They were cosmetic rather than structural though.

Used VCP to print out the template (including tabs) on paper. Used the paper template to make the cardboard transition and cut out the fibre glass. Brushed epoxy on to the card and laid on the fibre glass. Once the epoxy started to go off, the transition was formed and tacked into place using CA.

Darren J Longhorn

I know a guy that makes GREAT transitions, nosecones and boattails...... He has made me one of each of the above items.... Great work, Great Prices and excellent turn-around time...... On The Rocket Forum he is called "Sandman"....... His e-mail address is..... snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

Drop him a note and see what he can do for you.... If you want, I can upload a few pictures of his work.....

Reply to
Rocketmaniac

Here's how I make transitions:

Take the two tubes that you are transition, add centering rings to center the smaller tube in the larger one. Mark the distance from the top of the large tube to the end of the transition on the smaller tube. Glue on wedges of balsa or urethane foam, fill the gaps with lightweight spackle, then sand to smooth shape using sandpaper wrapped around a block of wood. Cover with a thin layer of fiberglass using small strips of glass cloth. Sand, fill and paint. Voila! You're done.

Reply to
RayDunakin

I am sure he'll love the spam bait you just made of his address. But some people don't mind... hope he is one.

~ Duane Phillips.

Reply to
Duane Phillips

I did something similar to this, but I used wedges of plywood. I used VCP to make the shroud and cut it out and glued the paper down to the playwood. I then cut little holes and filled each section with two part expanding foam. I then glassed over this.

I got the idea from :

RDH8

Reply to
Robert DeHate

thanks for posting this link, Robert

I found the fin construction technique shown here very interesting

what a great hobby this is, especially in the Internet Age :)

- iz

Robert DeHate wrote:

Reply to
Ismaeel Abdur-Rasheed