The value of this hobby

I don't know of any other "hobbies" that involve the youth so well on actual academic levels, leading/augmenting real life education.

I am considering several community outreach methods to give of my time. Literally I would like to set up an ongoing rocketry introduction series that I can commit to, that is not ruled by the auspices of any particular rocketry paradigm. Individual and group creativity, and research skills are more focal to my efforts than anything else... after all, it is the building up for that very short but dramatic moment of flight that is the fun part.

I'd like to establish a persisent course set that divides the fun in to three basic categories of classes:

1) Stage 1 - basic principles and bulk-pack type kits construction... such as the educator packs from Pratt Hobbies or the like. Estimated to last about 2 teach/build sessions and 1 fly session. This is an "any age can participate" type of class, and level of teaching would be adjusted accordingly.

2) Stage 2 - mid-level principles and scratch build from common house-hold bits. This is where I hope to really get the creative-thinking juices flowing. Will cover home-made designs of every aspect of the rocket vehicle and recovery methods, but still focus on motor-based ejection. Usually will consist of no less than 4 (maybe more) teach build sessions and 1 flight session. Preferably teen or above, but younger individuals can participate with parents in tow. I don't want to end up being a baby sitter while trying to advance concepts.

3) Stage 3 - advanced concepts. A foray into staging, dual deploy, payloads, larger rocketry, and the accompanying component and electronic selections. Depending on demand and student types, may have specific classes with specialty speakers with experience in various systems. Field trips may be required (or meeting at field trip location). Expecting no less than 4 sessions, with on going scheduled single sessions for special events/classes. Definitely for those truly interested and have "their own fires of interest lit."

Comments? Ideas? Been-there-this-works-best-scenarios?

Reply to
Duane Phillips