Using a Flycutter

"If "Phil Stein" didn't push and prod a[t] each and every Jerry post the noise level would be low. It must be a fun day scanning the threads just waiting for JI to post."

- Chad Ellis

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

I picked up a double fly cutter second hand, but never found a source for them. Can you enlighten us as to where you got one?

Bob Kaplow

If you only need one or two, and don't have the tools, that makes sense. If you already own a drill press, it ceases to do so. I often end up building "on the spur of the moment". Having the ability to fabricate what I need NOW, in whatever odd size I might need, without the wait time of ordering from elsewhere is worth something to me. Plus I like making stuff myself rather than paying some one else. And I ABSOLUTELY expect the quality of stuff I do buy elsewhere be at least as good as what I can do myself.

Bob Kaplow

Turn the clamps over, so the bulk is UNDER the table instead of above it. I find those new-fangled bar clamps with the trigger lock to be ideal for this work. I've got at least half a dozen of the small hobby size ones, and an assortment of the larger ones.

Another reason I like cutting the OD first, then clamping the ring while cutting the ID is that the pilot drill keeps the center scrap from flying across the room. Cut the ID first, then the OD, and when it cuts through you can have a projectile in your work room. Or something that wiggles as it's cutting the last bit on one side, flinging it across the room as it tears the last part that didn't yet cut.

Bob Kaplow

I'll second that. Having the ability to make your own, in any size / thickness you need is a bonus.

Reply to
J.A. Michel

I got mine up here in northern Wisconsin at a small junk store(not really a better way of explaining the place). The sell them for $8.99 IIRC.

Reply to
Jason Hommrich

This is why i say use double sided tape. It will allow you to do either ID/OD or OD/ID with out the parts becoming projectiles. Use the clamps but add the tape it adds a little bit of insurance. Bill Richardson

Reply to
Bill Richardson

Was there any brand name or other info on the package...

Bob Kaplow

It was some off brand, but I can't remember. I can stop there in a couple hours(I think they are open today) and check since I got to run up there anyways for a birthday card for my parents.

Reply to
Jason Hommrich

your parents had birthdays on the same day?

Reply to
tater schuld

Yep, they were born 3 hours apart in the same hospital down by chicago but grew up in different states(Elgin, Illinois for my dad and Marion,Ohio for my mom)

Reply to
Jason Hommrich

The brand name of the cutter is GRIP or Grand Rapids Industial Products

Reply to
Jason Hommrich

I posted a pic of the cutter on ABMR. I will be at NARCON if anyone wants one(the store only has about 40 of them in stock)

Reply to
Jason Hommrich

I live a couple miles from Elgin. If you're ever in the area, get in touch!

Bob Kaplow

I will do that. I want to go down there anyways to visit my uncle in Elgin. Plus I want to see the old house that lived in until I was 6 in Carpentersville(moved up here in 1976) for nostalgia sake

Reply to
Jason Hommrich

I just threw a new one of those in the bin (looks exactly the same right down to position and machining of grub screws), cut one ring and it bent. John.

Reply to
John

that one I just bought so I can set up for a couple different cuts at a time. But my other one has cut around 50 rings and has not bent.

Reply to
Jason Hommrich

I should also say that it is a cheapy but like I said I have cut many ring with my first one and have not bent it but I do take it real easy and slow with it.

Reply to
Jason Hommrich

According to Jason Hommrich :

It occured to me that you could use rosette cutters and cut the ring in one go.

If I recall correctly, Sears carries (carried?) a rosette cutter where the blade was swappable. You could either use two pieces to provide the inner and outer cut, or, custom grind the blade.

Here's one:

Chris Lewis

The really tricky part to using a flycutter is getting the fly to hold still. ;)

Reply to
raydunakin