The kid's science project, the Hybrid powered monocopter

My son Wes wanted his science project to be the building and flying of a monocopter powered by a Nitrous Oxide Hybrid rocket motor. After kicking around his thoughts he had the good fortune to talk to Todd Moore about his idea. Todd and Wes entered into a discussion and Todd agreed to build a highly modified SRS 29mm motor to incorporate the ideas.

Wes spent some time learning how to build monocopters, the first was owed it's demise to a lightweight launch pad during a solids test.

starting over he built a new monocopter, I found the pieces to build a new launch pad and Todd Moore continued development on the motor.

Well, with a Nor'Easter full of snow moving in, all three came together on Sunday for a quick launch at a local park. It will next fly at his school grounds as his teacher is clearing all the hurdles.

We don't know if it's a first, but it was a lot of work to pull off. Thanks to Todd Moore and the Sky Ripper Systems group for building the motor and supplying his 29mm 'green' grains. Thanks to Doug Pratt for his getting us a nitrous supply system, and thanks to his teacher Deborah Wysocki for allowing the rocket powered project to continue.

A 2.2 meg movie of the flight is here

A 5.5 meg movie of the flight is here
The only difference is if you download the movie you there is more detail in the larger file, without the ability to size the screen both look about the same.

Note the venthole was in a position to show half full, so the count went

4 seconds up, four seconds down to launch.

Chuck

Next stop, the schoolyard.

Reply to
Chuck Rudy

Very cool, Chuck, and a job well done!

Todd showed me the video the other day, and I thought it was darned cool.

-Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Trojanowski

Thank you Kevin. He did pretty well on it, it seems he covered all the big points and made it work. He wanted to do it all himself, so when he had a question he got an answer and not me doing the work. He was not thrilled with me a lot, especially when he had problems getting the thrust rings on. :-) But he learned a ton.

Chuck

Reply to
Chuck Rudy