What is the highest (and farthest) you have launched a rocket?

Today we got back a rocket that was about a half mile away (the rocket arced :( ) So far 2900 feet (estimated) is the highest I have gone.
Post stories about losing, finding, soaring, and crashing your rockets here :)
It is painful to live in a world where innocent posts like this seem more like "bait" for another motive... especially when the "wow" facts of the post is far below what has been achieved in the hobby in general.
~ Duane Phillips.

here
I just started a few months ago. I won't be able to beat you guys who have been doing it longer. I thought a half mile was a far distence for what we have launched.

If can you find one, try a "MachBuster" on a G55. For my second one, it was found 2 miles away and 18 months later (flat desert - it was sunburned on one side). The first one is still MIA. The second one has been gone (again) for about 2 years now after an F101 flight. Still got one unassembled in the original bag'o parts.
The "Machbuster" was a min diameter bird, designed to "bust mach", and gosh, they were fun to watch! (machbusters were made by Rocket Vison, now OOB)

Oh, BTW, simmed around 3000' IIRC, Highest flight? for me, maybe 8500' and it landed 1/4-1/2 mile away - weighed ~50lbs at launch

rocket
rockets
It was so high & so far that I never saw it again.
Crashing? That would be an altitude of -2' AGL.

Phil Stein wrote:

In college I launched a good 6 feet one saturday night. But I wasn't going for height or distance. It really killed the grass, though.
--
Chuck Rudy

VooDoo Digital Productions

I lost a D RG model at NARAM-36 that thermalled out of sight. It was found a month later 17 miles from the launch site. The person who found it shipped it back to me. I still have it.
Wow Bob! What was the cause of so much drift? Were there high winds, was it done on purpose? How did you expect the fight to turn out? Sorry for the questions but 18 miles seems so extreme.
Layne Rossi
writes:

here
http://nira-rocketry.org/LeadingEdge/Phantom4000.pdf
www.nar.org
http://www.space-rockets.com/congress.html
writes:

Cause? Texas thermals. Things really are bigger down there. Winds were not bad. I chased the model a mile through the JSC complex, and lost sight of it when it was a dot in the sky. I couldn't resolve which dot was my glider and which was the sweat rolling into my eyes.
It was a C RG (I think I said D last time, it was a D RG designed for C6/A3 that I flew on just the C6) contest model. Actually multi-round, so you get 2 models and 3 flights. First flight was a different model off a piston and the piston went with the glider, resulting in a poor flight. Second flight no piston and the wing ripped off under boost (maybe undetected damage from the first flight). All I had for backup was my old D RG, so I flew it on the C6. Boost was poor, arcing from vertical to almost horizontal by ejection. Sort of half a "C". But it was perfectly trimmed, and just settled into a flat circle, slowky rising with the lift. THe higher it got, the faster it went up.
The model MAXed easilly. I don't recall if that was good enough for a place int he event or not. I didn't expect it to do that good. ANd when I lost sight of it, I certainly didn't expect to see it again. But I put name and address labels on all my models that include the magic word: "REWARD!".
A month later my wife gets a call from someone with a heavy southern accent "Yall ain;t gonna b'lieve waat aaI faund". The guy was a surveyor out in an empty field. I told him where I launched it from, and he said that was 17 miles from where he found it. I would assume that a surveyor would know such things.
The materials in the glider were worth less than $5. THe labor was at least 30 hours to build. The story alone was worth the $25 reward I sent the guy.
8875' - ~1.4 mi. Probably would have been 10,500' if it were straight up. (Mega-Nuke, M2100 Screamin' Demon)
4400'? - ~1.3 mi. Estes Black Brant, G80-10
3200'? - ~2 mi. ARG EV-3, I-284
4600'? - ~Parsec(s) Estes Black Brant G125-15. Last spotted over Prince Edward Island :-)>

here
I don't know about max altitude, since I've rarely used an altimeter. I've had to go 2-3 miles on many occasions to find a rocket. Lost a camera in 1991 that had been launched from a high desert area and hit a very fast stream of wind at altitude. Wasn't even a very high flight, only used a mid-range H motor. The rocket was found two miles away, right at the top of the last ridge overlooking the low desert. I figure the camera must have cleared the ridge and gone another 2-3 miles, maybe more, before reaching the valley.

Tom Allen developed the Extreme rockets line. We marketed the Skunkworks Stealth BB II, that is a beefed up Estes kit, made to handle the G125. I flew mine on a G125 twice and got it back. Estimated alt. 5,200 feet.
My son and I scratch built an upscale of the Estes Black Brant II. The airframe is from Hawk Mountain, it's wound fiberglass. It's so strong you can stand on it. I rolled my own nose cone from fiberglass, kevlar and graphite composite cloth. The fins are layed up using G10 cores, plywood laminates for airfoiling and resonance dampening, Kevlar plys so I could call them bullet proof and a graphite composite sanding veil.
After several flights up here, in Oregon and at LDRS 1999, Argonia, we let it all hang out at LDRS in California, 2001. Using a K700 for propulsion, the biggest motor that would fit, we punched that puppy straight up, narry a wiggle, in excess of mach 1, to 12,116 feet AGL. It coasted straight up for 21 seconds! My son and others saw it the entire time. It came down only about 300 yards (270 metres) away. Lucerne is a great place to fly rockets as high as you can try.
steve

7845 vertical, and about 2km away horizontal. Held the CAR 'I' altitude record briefly, before Vince Chichak bested it by a couple hundred ft a few months later.
There seemed to be very high mid-level winds that day, and my last-minute decision to fly a walston with this rocket allowed me to finally get it back. But not before slogging through hectares of some of the most immuno-toxic wild plants I've ever encountered in my life. My friend and I came back from the recovery exercise with streaming eyes, violent sneezing, and wheezing. Fortunately, somebody had brought some anti-histamines with them to the launch.
The Walston worked out well. At one point, no matter where I pointed the receive antenna, the signal strength didn't change. I go to take a step away to see if I can get a change in signal strength, and nearly step on my minimum-diameter rocket--buried in the aforementioned toxic plant cover...

here
All will be forgiven if you send everyone on RMR one for free, and that includes the hardware :-)
John
5.3 pound fiberglassed LOC EZI-65 with a Missile Works RRC2 for dual deployment on an Aerotech J570 to 5,170 feet, main parachute deployed at 300 feet and recovery walk of about 100 yards.
John
--
John Stein KC4RLL
NAR 74335 Sr L2

Use a J415 next time. One of my EZIs went ~6500 on that motor. Once I get my brave up and hiking boots on, I have a K550 for it.
A J275 will give you about 4k with that rocket.
--
Kurt Kesler

300
Howdy Kurt!!!!! Did you make Southern Thunder? Maybe next time for me.
Real nice motor (J415) and I hope to try a few new brands this summer. I'm working out the details for a LEUP. After that, it's whatever I can set aside (money wise) for motors.
I am thinking about the K550 for a launch this summer. The winds should be just right later this year, so hiking boots may not be required :-)
John
says...

Nope, but did make a launch a couple of months ago. Launched a big ol' I300 and a G64. Woohoo.
--
Kurt Kesler

Right there with you. I have one I200, an H73, an H97 and a G75 left, and the rest of my motor stash is low and mid power. And the sad part is no funds for new motors and hardware. I may have to find a better paying job :-)
John