What is the highest (and farthest) you have launched a rocket?

Use a J415 next time. One of my EZIs went ~6500 on that motor. Once I get my brave up and hiking boots on, I have a K550 for it.

A J275 will give you about 4k with that rocket.

Reply to
Kurt Kesler

While the lower stages landed in the ocean, the payload is still happily cruising along...

Andy

Reply to
Andy Eng

I'm surprise we haven't heard Bob Kaplow's story on his glider he flew down here in Houston--It was recovered 17 miles from the launch site.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Eng

Howdy Kurt!!!!! Did you make Southern Thunder? Maybe next time for me.

Real nice motor (J415) and I hope to try a few new brands this summer. I'm working out the details for a LEUP. After that, it's whatever I can set aside (money wise) for motors.

I am thinking about the K550 for a launch this summer. The winds should be just right later this year, so hiking boots may not be required :-)

John

Reply to
John Stein

Nope, but did make a launch a couple of months ago. Launched a big ol' I300 and a G64. Woohoo.

Reply to
Kurt Kesler

Right there with you. I have one I200, an H73, an H97 and a G75 left, and the rest of my motor stash is low and mid power. And the sad part is no funds for new motors and hardware. I may have to find a better paying job :-)

John

Reply to
John Stein

J415 is an excellent motor - got my converted PML Miranda to 7904'.

Reply to
Darren J Longhorn

Got motors, just no time for launches. Once Olivia is a bit bigger, she can come with me. Right now all the rocket she can stand is to "lift off" from the bathroom counter and splash-down in the tub.

Reply to
Kurt Kesler

The highest I launched this century is 6742, at the Team-1 Manchester field. Ellis I-134, in a 38mm Acme Dart I made up, dual deploy, perfectflite altimeter.

It was tracked by eye all the way up, but on the way down, a cloud moved in, UNDER it and it got lost. Funny thing, after being lost for almost 5 mins, it appeared out of nowhere, went pow for the second event, and landed 64 yards from the range head.

More fun, when I launch rockets to about 2000 feet, single deploy, I always walk for 40-60 mins in a bean field.

Art Upton

ArtU

Yeah. Just you wait 'til potty training...

"Green board all the way across..."

"We have main engine ignition, and LIFTOFF!"

tah

Reply to
hiltyt

All will be forgiven if you send everyone on RMR one for free, and that includes the hardware :-)

John

Reply to
John Stein

Ardmore,Alabama (HARA NAR section launch), October 2001. I launched a Vaughn Brothers Extreme 24mm rocket with an Aerotech F101-15T. It went 5235', Rocksim speed Mach 1.2. I had 20' of orange plastic marking tape for a streamer and it came down about 100 yards from the pad. It was a PERFECT day for the launch...bluebird clear sky, no wind. The VBX kits are quick and easy to build, very sturdy, and fairly inexpensive, and really scream with the right motor.

Reply to
P.K. Moore

F101's are great little motors...

I staged one using a D12 booster & sheathed thermalite in an Estes Delta Clipper clone. Unlike yours, never saw it after the F101 lit.

Got one more left...

Andy

Reply to
Andy Eng

Alas, they've fallen off the certification list some time ago...

Bob Kaplow

No kidding...

You've been around awhile -- How would you assess today's status of certified motors? Are we seeing any history repeating itself? IMO, it seems like the Cert Folks these days are hanging for dear life trying to keep up with the ebbs and tides. I could be mistaken though...

Andy

Reply to
Andy Eng

While there seems to be a boom (no pun intended) in HPR motor choices, MR/LMR is pretty thin right now. We've yet to fully recover from the AT fire almost 3 years ago. Apogee motors are history. That only leaves Estes and the few motors from Quest.

Gone for some time are Centuri, FSI, MRC, NCR.

Bob Kaplow

Reply to
Chad L. Ellis

For a company that doesn't exist and never has that's pretty cool.

Reply to
Chad L. Ellis

"Brands" can be certified.

Well, until lately EXCEPT Aerotech :)

Seriously?

Yes!!

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Motors are certified. Brands are just names owned by companies.

Reply to
RayDunakin