Whats the matter with these tubes ?

So whats the matter with these tubes? Too heavy ? Too lightweight ? Are they usuable or what ?

and...

J.Hardy

I use tubes like the all the time. Great for mid-power. Pretty deep spiral. Can be tricky to get a good finish.

Reply to
Darren J Longhorn

Recycled kraft (weak) and non-standard sizes (BMS).

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

They'll probably work fine, but not as strong for the weight as other tubes. Also, the end caps make terrible nosecones.

Reply to
David

Well from the specs I see they arent too heavy. It also seems that at least the stated 2.5" is actually 2.6 OD so I guess standard NC's will fit it ? Is that true with the other sizes ?

Reply to
J.Hardy

Hmmm... it's really the inside diameter that needs to match so a nosecone can be inserted... the 1.5 and 3 inch sizes might match up with standard rocket ID's, but I don't think the others will. (54mm cones will be too fat for 2" ID tubes;

98mm will be a loose fit in the 4" stuff, etc.

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker

Strength-to-weight ratio of these is not too great for rocketry uses. There are much lighter tubes available that are actually *stronger* where you need it.

Of course, if these are 'strong enough' for your intended use, and cheaper, why not?

Reply to
<mark.johnson

I've used mailing tubes and other "heavy" cardboard tubes. If you're a performance freak, you might be concerned about weight, but I think they're just fine. That being said, buying the tube that matches the nosecone you're using will provide for a better fit. I've used LOC 3 inch nosecones, and it was ok, but not perfect. You could make your own nosecones to custom fit, but I'd rather not mess with that unless it's for something special.

For building on a budget or if you like to build stout, they are just fine. If I wanted to make something pretty to look at, I'd spring the $10 or so for a 3 inch LOC body tube. I built my level 1 rocket out of 3 inch cardboard tube and turned a nosecone for it out of basswood, but then I'm strange. For the level 2, I sprung for PML tubing and a freind fiberglassed it.

Best of luck, John G.

Reply to
JohnG

Strong enough. Even standard Balsa nose cones are easy to modify to slightly nonstandard tube sizes. You might recognise the nose cone.

that some of us are too cheap to actually buy _unused_ mailing tubes.

Reply to
Darren J Longhorn