Why flat shock cords?

Related to another thread on tying knots, I wonder why most manufacturers use flat shock cords (Quest is an exception). Would'nt a
round cord, like a rope, be a lot easier to use?
Jim
Jim wrote:

I am sure it is simply because "flat" is cheaper. It is also, I feel, far less likely to "zipper", as opposed to a round rope-like cord (though such an event would be more than unlikely in the small rockets we are speaking of).
--

Greg Heilers

Flat cords also fold to a smaller space more easily.
Pardon the tech post!
Jerry Irvine wrote:

Do they, in "reality"? I have always had the "gut feeling" that they did, but have never sat down and proved it "mathematically".
--

Greg Heilers

I didn't even prove it mathematically, but a few years back I thought it would be cool to use a cord instead, and I shockingly found I could NOT fit the same length in the body tube I was used to using for flat. it did fit at all , yikes !
But, some might say you don't need to use as much cord as you do web, but that's another question.
Jerry, do you know ?

I find the length is more connected with component inertia. While there are non-elastic advocates among us, I feel elastic with a nylon line inhibitor at the 1/3-1/2 stretch length is "optimal.
YMMV.
Jerry

Flat cords can be folded or rolled with virtually no "holes". Round cord can be packed, but will still have gaps.
Bob Kaplow NAR # 18L >>> To reply, there's no internet on Mars (yet)! <<< Kaplow Klips & Baffle:    http://nira-rocketry.org/Document/MayJun00.pdf www.encompasserve.org/~kaplow_r/ www.nira-rocketry.org www.nar.org
They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. -- Benjamin Franklin Historical Review of Pennsylvania. 1759