Why flat shock cords?

Related to another thread on tying knots, I wonder why most manufacturers use flat shock cords (Quest is an exception). Would'nt a round cord, like a rope, be a lot easier to use?

Jim

Reply to
Jim

I am sure it is simply because "flat" is cheaper. It is also, I feel, far less likely to "zipper", as opposed to a round rope-like cord (though such an event would be more than unlikely in the small rockets we are speaking of).

Reply to
Greg Heilers

Flat cords also fold to a smaller space more easily.

Pardon the tech post!

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Do they, in "reality"? I have always had the "gut feeling" that they did, but have never sat down and proved it "mathematically".

Reply to
Greg Heilers

I didn't even prove it mathematically, but a few years back I thought it would be cool to use a cord instead, and I shockingly found I could NOT fit the same length in the body tube I was used to using for flat. it did fit at all , yikes !

But, some might say you don't need to use as much cord as you do web, but that's another question.

Jerry, do you know ?

Reply to
AlMax

I find the length is more connected with component inertia. While there are non-elastic advocates among us, I feel elastic with a nylon line inhibitor at the 1/3-1/2 stretch length is "optimal.

YMMV.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Flat cords can be folded or rolled with virtually no "holes". Round cord can be packed, but will still have gaps.

Bob Kaplow NAR # 18L >>> To reply, there's no internet on Mars (yet)!

Reply to
Bob Kaplow