20-July-1969...

Don't forget that Wednesday is the 36th anniversary of the first men to set foot on the moon. I was hoping to launch something appropriate at our NIRA
launch yesterday, but alas it was canceled by the Forest Preserve District due to the drout and fire danger. The Chicago area is in the midst of the worst drout in over 130 years :-(
Bob Kaplow NAR # 18L >>> To reply, there's no internet on Mars (yet)! <<< Kaplow Klips & Baffle:    http://nira-rocketry.org/Document/MayJun00.pdf www.encompasserve.org/~kaplow_r/ www.nira-rocketry.org www.nar.org
We need to ensure that actions by our government uphold the principles of a democratic society, accountable government and international law, and that all decisions are taken in a manner consistent with the Constitution.

set
Sounds like a great time to launch a Saturn V!
Randy http://vernarockets.com /

That would have been last Saturday. Wednesday is the day for it to LAND. Somewhere else :-)
Maybe I'll just go out wednesday night. look at the moon, and lament that it's been 32.7 years since any one has been there...
Bob Kaplow NAR # 18L >>> To reply, there's no internet on Mars (yet)! <<< Kaplow Klips & Baffle:    http://nira-rocketry.org/Document/MayJun00.pdf www.encompasserve.org/~kaplow_r/ www.nira-rocketry.org www.nar.org
We need to ensure that actions by our government uphold the principles of a democratic society, accountable government and international law, and that all decisions are taken in a manner consistent with the Constitution.

Any day is a good day to fly a Saturn V.
Besides, I don't think I could get it to stay in the air that long. ; )
Randy http://vernarockets.com /
I flew an Estes Oracle Saturday, not only because it was the anniversary of the Apollo 11 launch, but because July 16, 1968 was when I flew my first rocket.
Roy nar12605

of
That's cool Roy. That means we had our first flights within days of each other. I don't know the exact date but it was just after July 4, 1968.
I do know exactly where. I was by my elementary school this afternoon. The only bad thing is they are expanding the school and have just finished a new building right on top of the old baseball diamond. We used to launch off of the pitcher's mound.
Randy http://vernarockets.com /
Roy Green wrote:

How did you talk NASA into celebrating the one-year anniversary of your first launch so well???
David Erbas-White
When they heard about the fine job I did over the winter building a Centuri Saturn V that I was planning to launch for the anniversary they just had to launch theirs in tribute. Thankfully theirs did a little better than mine -- even with a car battery and Sure-Shots, I only got one C6-5 lit. I wouldn't meet John Langford and his flashbulbs for another few months.
Roy nar12605

Centuri
ROFL!
Randy http://vernarockets.com /
Man, it is hard to believe that it's been 36 years! I remember sitting there with my mom watching the first images from the moon. geeze!
And look how far we've come since then! (note: dripping with sarcasm... :) )
Jim

Not quite 2 years ago, I went to a talk by Gene Cernan, "The Last Man on the Moon". He made it very clear how disappointed he was that in 30+ years, we haven't gone back. And with our current technology we couldn't get back there "before this decade is out..."
But the interesting thing Cernan said was that the whole 60s space program was an anomoly. It was as if someone took a decade out of the middle of the 21st century, and dropped it in the middle of the 20th century. We're now back on what should have been our normal timeline.
Bob Kaplow NAR # 18L >>> To reply, there's no internet on Mars (yet)! <<< Kaplow Klips & Baffle:    http://nira-rocketry.org/Document/MayJun00.pdf www.encompasserve.org/~kaplow_r/ www.nira-rocketry.org www.nar.org
"I tell you, freedom and human rights in America are doomed. The U.S. government will lead the American people in and the West in general into an unbearable hell and a choking life."
kaplow snipped-for-privacy@encompasserve.org.mars (Bob Kaplow) wrote:

Proving you cannot violate the timeline, by anecdotal evidence.
Of course we do not have the societal will to overcome that.

Jerry
writes:

sitting
sarcasm...
the
we
Hey Jerry! remember me talking about a little project 6 months ago?
heh. I got the will. seems few others do tho. working on the way.
--
Tater
President of MARS Club (NAR #660)

Oh is Jerry going to sneak the stuff past DOT and customs and whatever is in place in the EU? I can't wait to see how that works out.

There's a good full-screen panorama in QuickTimeVR from the Apollo 11 mission:
http://www.panoramas.dk/fullscreen3/f29a.html
They also have a panorama from Apollo 17 on the site.
--
Mike KD7PVT
NAR #70953 - Sr/HPR Level-1 ~ BEMRC - NAR Section #627
writes:

the
the
I've heard him also, in Oshkosh.
Don't worry Bob, I am working on it :)
--
Tater
President of MARS Club (NAR #660)

I keep saying that if we took the money NASA spent so far on coming up with the next generation space shuttle, and gave it all to Rutan, he'd have a fleet of them flying TODAY.
They may not end up with a flight safety record a whole lot better than what we have now, but they would be a whole lot cheaper to build and fly. And we'd have enough hardware to launch one every couple days.
Bob Kaplow NAR # 18L >>> To reply, there's no internet on Mars (yet)! <<< Kaplow Klips & Baffle:    http://nira-rocketry.org/Document/MayJun00.pdf www.encompasserve.org/~kaplow_r/ www.nira-rocketry.org www.nar.org
People who exercise their embryonic freedom day after day, little by little, expand that freedom. People who do not will find that it withers until they are literally "being lived." They are acting out scripts written by parents, associates, and society. --Stephen R. Covey
kaplow snipped-for-privacy@encompasserve.org.mars (Bob Kaplow) wrote:

So format it as a formal NASA proposal.
wrote in message

on
years, we

back
program
of
now
with
what
point!
If I needed money more than time right now.
--
Tater
President of MARS Club (NAR #660)

with
Sounds good on paper Bob. He'd do it with about 1% of the staff too, so where do all the unemployed people go to work?
Randy http://vernarockets.com /