1/72 Gato--are they out of their minds?

A 52 inch model--where's THAT going to go? I don't recall any great demand for something this size. I'd much rather get three or four

1/192 subs that we don't have, like a British S and T, a Guppy and a Type VII just to start a common scale of subs that will fit on a bookshelf.
Reply to
tomcervo

You can put it next to Erik's 1/72 C-5 and it wont look so bad ;-)

rich

Reply to
Rich

Not that I'm much into ships, but I like subs as well as aircraft. My scale is 1/72, so I think there IS demand for these. I remember the

1/72 USS Enterprise I saw about 20 years ago. If it hadn't been $1500, I'd probably have one of them. It may be long, but it's fairly skinny, too. I've got 3 1/72 subs built from Combat kits & a couple of others in the stash.
Reply to
frank

its going for unde $90 at Squadron. Just gotta get it for its size alone. since when did this hobby make sense anyway...... :)

Craig

Reply to
crw59

Possibly to go with the already released U-Boat in the same scale?

Seems like good marketing to me.

John

Reply to
John

With a blue background and some 'wavy' glass above , you could suspend them from the ceiling as part of an Action Battle Diorama .

heh heh , would have to leave the 'significant other' before you started though .

Martin

Reply to
hayesclipper

She'd probaby do the leaving. ;)

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Is there a release date yet?

A.

Reply to
Andrew Lyall

now we need a Japanese sub in 1/72, the one that launched airplanes!!!

Craig

Reply to
crw59

was that the 1-400's? hmm, where to put a 10' model?

The I-400s weren't that big , were they?

Reply to
frank

biggest subs until that russian bastard, i believe.

The I-400s were 400 feet long. As a comparison, a Gato class was 312 feet long, and a Type VII U-boat was about 220 feet long.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Williams

that's all? i saw side by sides and they looked a lot longer...must be an optical illusion.

Umm, in 1/72 scale then that comes up about half of 10', only a little over 5 1/2 '.

Dave Williams wrote:

Reply to
frank

still a damn honker for sure.

400' in 1/72 is far from being 10'. Just over half that.
Reply to
frank

I'll be buying one, of course...

Reply to