1/72 Italian Harriers

I'm doing a 1/72nd AV-8B Harrier II Plus in Italian markings, and want to depict it with AMRAAM missiles. My question is, do they carry a pair of AMRAAMS on the AIM-9 rails, or could they carry a pair of each type? Can they carry AMRAAM's on other underwing hardpoints?

Thanks,

Don H.

Reply to
Don Harstad

"Don Harstad" wrote in news:bg6i9q$50k$ snipped-for-privacy@ins22.netins.net:

They can't carry AMRAAM at all (yet) Part of the deal for the Italian Navy to buy the Harrier II was that the USMC would share the costs of integrating the AMRAAM and Harpoon with the Harrier, but as I understand it the USMC renegued on their part of the deal when it was too late to cancel the order, so the Italians (and the Spanish) have ended up with an aircraft which lacks the very capabilities they thought they were buying it for, and as yet they have not come up with the missing share of the money to fund integration. I *think* I've seen a pic of an Italian AV-8B+ with dummy AMRAAM on the mid wing pylon, but my memory is hazy.

Reply to
Drewe Manton

You're right, Drewe. Operative pictures of the Italian AV-8B+ in Kosovo and Afghanistan show them with nothing but Sidewinders, Mk.82 or GBU-16 bombs, or AGM-65 Maverick missiles.

-- Luca Beato -

del plastimodellismo su

Luca Beato

Thanks, Drewe.

I wonder, since Spain was so supportive of our recent efforts in Iraq, if there might be some cooperation extended regarding the integration of the AMRAAM. It would seem reasonable....

Don H.

Reply to
Don Harstad