58 impalla valve cover color?

im building an older amt kit of a 58 impalla and am wondering what color the stock valve covers should be, i found pics of them being orage and some that are grey, whats the correct color? also, is the stock intake the same color as the orange block or a different color?

Reply to
Shawn

Shawn, Posted pics of stock 1958 Chevrolet engines for you on alt.binaries.models.scale. Both a 348 cu.in. and a 283 cu.in. MG

Reply to
Mike G.

thanks alot

Reply to
Shawn

forgot to mention this is a 409, would colors be the same?

Reply to
Shawn

Yes

Reply to
Mike G.

no pics are showing up there yet

Reply to
Shawn

my bad, they are there

Reply to
Shawn

Just took a bit.... ;-)

Reply to
Mike G.

exactly what i needed and more, thanks a ton

Reply to
Shawn

How do you access the alt.binaries.models.scale. photos? I put that in my browser but it was unable to find it. I also added the http:// but no luck. Thanks, Dave

Reply to
Dave

its not a website dave so your browser wont find it, use your newsreader, look for it the same way as brought you here.

Reply to
Shawn

also, look for alt.binaries.models.scale without (.photos) on the end, binaries simply means that you can post things becides just words like in a plain text group such as this

Reply to
Shawn

You are most welcome Shawn, glad to help. MG

Reply to
Mike G.

Dave,

Not a web site. Put this in your newsreader filter; alt.binaries.models.scale It'll take you right to the group. MG

Reply to
Mike G.

Well Bill, yes according to this site;

The 409 was offered in 1961...I copied this information from there;

1958 Chevrolet Bel Air Impala

Comments: The Impala began as the top option level on Chevrolet's Bel Air line. Chevrolet's 1958 lineup featured one year only styling that sported "curves where before there were lines." The Impala option added special trim, deluxe interiors, and resulted in the steepest price in the Chevrolet lineup. Performance was important from the begining as the first Impala could be optioned with up to a 348 V8 putting out 315 bhp. The public's positive response lead to Chevrolet making the Impala a separate option for the next year.

Production: 2D Hardtop: 43,000 Convertible: Approximately 17,000 Engines: 235.5 I6 145 bhp. 283 V8 185 bhp. 283 V8 230 bhp. 283 V8 250 bhp.

348 V8 250 bhp. 348 V8 280 bhp. 348 V8 315 bhp.

1959 Chevrolet Impala

Comments: The Impala became its own model in 1959. As with all 1959 Chevy's, the new Impalas were longer, lower, wider, and more curvy. They also had the wildest tailfins besides Cadillac. The rear end sported "bat wing" rear fenders, "cat's eye" taillamps, and a huge decklid. The drivetrain stayed the same, with some increases in horsepower and sales remained good. Of particular interest to enthusiasts were the availability of fuel injected

283 V8's, although these were rare.

Production: Sport Coupe: 182,520 Convertible: 72,765 Engines: 235.5 I6 145 bhp. 283 V8 170 bhp. 283 V8 185 bhp. 283 V8 230 bhp.

283 (fuel injected) V8 250 bhp. 283 (fuel injected) V8 290 bhp. 348 V8 250 bhp. 348 V8 320 bhp. 348 V8 335 bhp.

1960 Chevrolet Impala

Comments: The Impala was toned down for 1960 and lost some of their distinct styling and fuel injected engines.

Production: Sport Coupe: 204,467 Convertible: 79,903 Engines: 235.5 I6 145 bhp. 283 V8 170 bhp. 283 V8 185 bhp. 283 V8 230 bhp.

348 V8 250 bhp. 348 V8 320 bhp. 348 V8 335 bhp.

1961 Chevrolet Impala SS

Comments: 1961 would be the year that the first true muscle car was introduced, the Chevrolet Impala SS. This would also be the year that Chevrolet introduced its 409 cubic inch V8, the engine that would launch the Big Three auto manufacturers into the horsepower race that would last well into the 1970s. The 409 was actually a response to Ford's new 390 cid engine, which was outperforming Chevy's on the dragstrip. Although it put out "only" 360 bhp compared to Ford's top 375 bhp, those extra 19 cid gave it respect on the street and immortalized in song ("She's really fine, my

409"). Chevrolet introduced the Super Sport (SS) option package, which was optional on the 348 and standard with the 409, which would define Chevrolet performance for many years to come. The Super Sport package, a bargin at just $53.80, consisted of special body and interior trim, power steering, power brakes with sintered metallic linings, full wheel covers with a three blade spinner, a passenger grab bar, a console for the floor shift, and a tachometer on the steering column. The 409 engine came only with the four-speed manual transmission and only one factory axle ratio. Lower axle ratios were available from the dealer and owners could see 1/4 mile times in the high 15s, which was pretty impressive in 1961. Unfortunately, the 409 already came with 11.25 compression and a four barrel carburetor, and due to its wedge shaped combustion chambers was not very easy to improve performance further. But no matter. Although only 142 Impala SS 409s were built in 1961 (and most went to good customers that would run them at the local dragstrips), the legend was born and the horsepower race was on.

Production: Impala SS: 453 Impala SS w/ 409 V8: 142 Engines: 348 (4 bbl) V8 305 bhp. 348 V8 340 bhp. 348 (3x2 bbl) V8 350 bhp.

409 V8 360 bhp @ 5800 rpm, 409 lb-ft @ 3600 rpm. Performance: 409/360: 0-60 in 7.8 sec. 1/4 mile in 15.8 sec. @ 94.1 mph.

1962 Chevrolet Impala SS

Comments: Chevrolet increased production of the 409 and made it available in all full size Chevy's - Biscaynes, Bel Airs, and Impalas. The Impala's were a bit less aerodynamic this year, which made some racers turn to the lighter and slicker Bel Air coupe. The 409 was improved by adding new cylinder heads and a revised camshaft. With the standard 4 bbl carb, the 409 produced 380 bhp. But the real news was the improved top of the line 409 which added a pair of Carter AFB four barrel carbs and a lightweight valve train, and produced an astonishing 409 bhp, or a magical 1 bhp per cid. The 409 legend grew.

Production: Impala SS: Approximately 100,000. Impala SS w/ 409 V8: 15,091 Engines: 283 V8 170 bhp. 283 V8 195 bhp. 327 V8 250 bhp. 327 V8 300 bhp. 409 V8 380 bhp. 409 (2x4 bbl) V8 409 bhp.

Reply to
Mike G.

I'll admit I'm no Chevy authority but isn't 1958 a bit early for the

409?

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

I thought so too but the box and instructions refer to it as a 409. The kit can be built as stock, custom or streetrod. I assume the 409 is meant for the streetrod or custom. I wish the kit came with at least a 283 to be poperly stock. I dont think it looks like a 409 anyway.

Reply to
Shawn

thanks for the information and the link, should be helpful

Reply to
Shawn

Shawn, I've had both real, the 348 and a 409. Outwardly you can not tell the engines apart. The physical dimensions are the same. However the 409 will kick butt and take names! I had a 1960 Chevrolet Impala with the 348 and after it started chewing up flywheels I dropped in a 409 with a turbo 350, Boy would that go then!

Yeah, I'll agree with you though, the kit needs a 283 as there were far more with that engine than the 348 or later 409. I have two of those kits and that is what I plan to do. IIRC AMT did that also with the 63 and 64 Impala kits.

MG

Reply to
Mike G.

Or you could make it look quite real by using liberal amounts of greasy black on the valve covers, manifold and top of the block. I knew a couple of guys that had them and that's what their engines looked like!

Reply to
Old Timer