(AIR) deHavilland Mosquito Camouflage

Question: Does anyone out there have any info on the camouflage scheme applied to the armed Mosquito PR.II aircraft? They were among the first of the PR versions and I believe 4 were in use by July of 1942. All the info I have on PR Mosquitos refers to PR.I, IV, IX, XVI and PR.34 aircraft. I have the SAM publication on the Mosquito PR ships and the only MK.II mentioned in there was a field conversion done in North Africa, there is no information on the armed PR.II ships delivered from Hatfield to the PRU in England. I am planning a series of PR Mosquitos in 1/48 and information on this bird so far eludes me.

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

You have the SAM book, but which SAM? Scale Aircraft Modelling (Combat Colours: two books by Paul Lucas) or Scale Aviation Modeller (SAM Modellers Datafile 1: The De Havilland Mosquito by Richard A. Franks)? I have both and can add the Osprey book (Comabat Aircraft 13: Mosquito Photo-Reconnaissance Units of World War 2: Martin Bowyer) which is very good too.

Bowman says that between April and June 1942, four NFII's were diverted to the PRU at Benson as PRII's. I can only guess that they would have been repainted from the Smooth Night factory finish, probably to PRU Blue, although the official scheme at that time was Dark Green and Ocean Grey over PRU Blue; and Lucas provides some evidence that whatever the brasshats said, the units were painting them Sky Grey and Dark Slate Grey over PRU Blue! The first four PRII's were acquired as stopgaps by the PRU, after having seen service in the NF role, and don't seem to have lasted long, the lack of wing or bomb-bay tanks possibly counting against them. I can find no photos.

In late 1943, two more NFII's (DD744 was one) were converted to PR II standard and joined No. 60 Sqn SAAF in Tripoli. Franks has a photo of DD744 which shows it to be painted overall Aluminium with Night spinners, to have full-length bomb-bay doors (hence I assume the cannon were removed), and to retain the nose mg's. This is the only photo of a PRII I can find. I have no idea where the cameras were installed.

In sum, the PR II's seem to have been converted from in-service NF II's and would have been repainted by their receiving units as they saw fit. None seems to have been delivered from the factory as a PR II.

You lucky, lucky, lucky, - - - I wish I had the room!

Reply to
Alan Dicey