Aircraft Wing lights?

OK, I know that there is a green light on one wing and a red light on the other. I will be darned if I can find a reference as to which is left and which is right... help.

Thanks.

Lance

Reply to
Bluepen

International standard navigation lights

Port is Red, Starboard is Green

(Port is LEFT as you are facing forward).

Cheers,

Nigel

Reply to
Nigel Heather

Nigel Heather International standard navigation lights

Yep, Port wine is red.

Reply to
willshak

There is no red port wine left

Reply to
Kevin(Bluey)

I remember waaaayyy back when I was learning to fly, I never could remember the 'red port wine left', so a friend told me, which I still think of today, 'the big words (right-green) & the little words (left- red) go together'.

Reply to
frank

...not only is port wine red, but both "port" and "left" are each spelled with four letters.

Reply to
Rufus

I don't know why this helps... but right is red is wrong. The alliteration I guess.

--Stephen

Reply to
Stephen Tontoni

"Red - Right - Return" means the plane/boat is headed directly toward you...

Jay B

Reply to
Jay B

in article snipped-for-privacy@n76g2000hsh.googlegroups.com, Jay B at snipped-for-privacy@cox.net wrote on 5/3/07 11:38 AM:

"Red - Right - Return" also means keep the red buoys to your right when heading back into harbor.

Pip Moss

Reply to
Pip Moss

I always remember it politically..."left wingers" were called reds...

Reply to
eyeball

"The red port wine was left on the table"............pilot training, 1964.

Reply to
noone

Thank you, everyone! As usual I got a lot of help!

Lance

Reply to
Bluepen

I also use the "long word / short word" method to remember.

Right = Starboard = Green (long) Left = Port = Red (short)

(Works for Republican, Conservative , Democrat and Liberal, too! )

My father, ex Navy and model RC builder, taught me another variation.

"Red Right Return".

If you see the nav lights on a vehicle (boat or airplane), and the red light is on your right, it is returning to you.

The same mnemonic works for sailing. If you are returning to port, keep the red channel markers on your right.

Greg

Reply to
Greg Reynolds