Amodel 1/72 Yak-9P - Interesting Panel Detail Techniques

A couple of weeks ago, I received the Amodel 1/72 Yak-9P from NKR. In general, the kit holds no surprises for anyone who's familiar with Amodel's "short run" technology (i.e., needs lots of dryfitting, although the small parts, like landing gear, l/g doors, prop, cockpit, etc., are very neat and have lots of detail). What struck me as interesting, though, was the way Amodel have handled the representation of the metal panels on this aircraft. Instead of the usual recessed (or raised) panel lines, this time they've gone much further to try to simulate the *real* appearance of rivetted metal. Each panel is molded with slight variations in its edge height relative to the panel next to it, either very slightly higher or lower, creating what looks, to my eye, to be a much more realistic appearance than the usual dead-flat panels on other kits. I don't think I've ever seen this on an injection-molded kit before, although many of the old Rareplanes vacuforms have a somewhat similar effect. Also, Amodel have reproduced a very slight "buckled" or concave bowed effect along the rivet lines on the aircraft, very much like that amazing metal finish A-20 that was featured on HyperScale a few months ago (I apologize for not remembering the name of the brilliant modeller who built it!). I'm hoping that other manufacturers will note the techniques Amodel has used, and incorporate the same features on future releases.

John Thompson

Reply to
John Thompson

Bill, Here's a link to Jaroslav Galler's A-20 Havoc gallery:

I see what he did, I consider myself as a modeling amoeba :oD

Laurent

"Bill Banaszak" a écrit dans le message news: snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net...

Reply to
Laurent Stern

That is incredible work. I recommend everyone take a minute and see it. Amoeba? I'm not even one-celled.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

Don,

The technique was described > I am def> "The depiction of the corrugated metal surface requires plenty of patience. It

Reply to
Ron

WOW...that is impressive. And done with Metallizers...I've got some experimenting of my own to do now...

Yeah - I saw and clipped that article from FSM - Feb '94 by Daniel Garsonnin. It featured the technique as described on a 1/32 Hasegawa F-86. Jaroslav Galler's Havoc is top notch!

Reply to
Rufus