Any Ship Builders Around?

Just stopped to say hello while searching around for Ship Builders group. I started with the plastic Revell 1/96 scales of the Constitution and the Cutty Sark. After careful study, I've used AutoCAD in the past to lay out hull designs...tried my hand at cast fittings...and grab anything around the house for rigging. If I couldn't find it around the house, I could always be found at the hardware stores. Hope I can help out with posters' questions. Griff

Reply to
Griffin

I am a ship builder . Do you build plastic kit or wooden kit models ? Or do you scratch build either ?

I haven't been here long but this group is miscellaneous . Don't know where I can find a ship builders' group .

What do you think ?

Reply to
veritas

alt.models.scale.ships , but there isn't much there.

Reply to
willshak

Armorama recently separated the ship builders site to its own domain. It is called Model Shipwrights and is a fairly decent site that is looking for knowledgeable ship modelers to join.

RobG

Go to

and sign up for the shipmodeling mailing list- it is a Yahoo group. Best bulletin board I know of for model ship builders.

Reply to
Don Stauffer

I like the plastic and the wood. I got away from the ribbed hull methods in favor of a planked-buildup using CAD sometime back. I found a google group -

but it appears to have been abandoned. I'm considering starting one unless someone else has a plan in the wings. Thoughts?

Reply to
Griffin

Try Steelnavy.com or Modelwarships.com. Two very good sites for ship builders only.

Rusty White Flagship Models Inc. flagshipmodels.com

Reply to
Rusty White

AutoCAD , I wish ! My laptop ( state of the art 3 years ago ) is slowing down now --- I need a new one soon. Your idea about a new group is good . But you must tell people in various fora so they can join otherwise it will have little traffic . In the meantime , hang around here as a poster or lurker - take your pick . Or check out some of the exclusively ship- building groups to complement this one .

Reply to
veritas