Anybody know what Tac, Blue Tac, or UHU Tac is?

I recently saw an article on the Aircraft Resource Center website,

shows an interesting method for sanding the inside of intake duct lips. It mentions something called "Tac, Blu Tac, UHU Tac, etc."

What is this Tac stuff and where can I get it in the US?

Thanks in advance!

Martin

Reply to
Martin

You find it in the stationary section of stores like Wal-Mart. It is used to temporarily hang posters on the wall or put on the bottom of knick-nacks to keep them on the shelf. Rob Gronovius Modern US armor at

Rob Gronovius

Blu Tac a tacky putty used instead of conventional fasteners to attach paper to walls. Doesn't leave a residue. Some modelers also use Silly Putty (a moldable plastic polymer sold in toy stores) for masking camouflage patterns. Gerald Owens

Reply to
Lafimprov

Yes. I saw an article in FineScale Modeler recently about this and tried it. I works pretty good except it apparently left an "oily" residue. When I tried to gloss coat the entire model for decaling, the Future I was using beaded up just like water on the areas where the Silly Putty had been. After the Future had dried (except where it had rolled off of the Silly Putty areas) I sprayed it with Testors High Gloss Enamel Clear and it laid down very well on the Silly Putty areas. Just reporting my experience.

Martin

Reply to
Martin

Silly Putty does leave a residue and if your hands are dirty so will they. I've used "Plasti-tac" and other kneadable fasteners for a lot of different modeling applications; you can stick small parts in it for painting. Sculpey type clay is also good for that as well as making jigs for bi-plane wings. hth

The Keeper (of too much crap!)

Reply to
Keeper

Other brand names include Ross "Tac 'n Stik" and Lepage "Fun-tak". I find these in any hardware store in the adhesive aisle or departmentstore/pharmacy in the school supplies aisles. If it leaves any shine or oily residue take some more fun-tak and roll it all over the area, it will get rid of the residue. a coat of future over the area followed by your choice of flat/semi-gloss coat also helps.

JC Hayes

that shows an interesting method for sanding the inside of intake duct

Reply to
JC