(ARM) Trumpeter SAM 6 and KV 2

Hi all.

I just got the Trumpeter SAM 6, and KV 2 AFV kit's and am quite impressed with the quality of them.

I mean almost the same quality (appearance wise) as the DML kit's, at almost half the price.

I am starting the KV 2 today, so if anyone has any tip's and or pitfalls, please let me know.

TIA

Reply to
AM

i did the tamiya kv2 recently so no real help except the trumpeter had 2 sets of tracks. i used the one pieces on the tamiy from the trumpeter on the advice of folks here. they were 100% better, so i expect some smartys will help you. i haven't built my trumper so will watch this thread. btw, the tami kit looks good if you want to see pics.

The KVs are among the best kits done by Trumpeter and far better than the Tamiya or Eastern Express ones. Only ding most modelers have is the solid grilles over the radiator air intakes and the air exhaust grille under the rear of the hull.

The SA-6 launcher is pretty good, but the missiles are about 1/4" too long and about 1/16" of an inch too small in diameter, so they look long and skinny. So far no after-market fixes for them.

Cookie Sewell

Reply to
AMPSOne

Was under the impression that the whole missile was off-scale. How about the wings and fins, Cookie?

Eagerly looking forward to correcting mine...from scratch, I guess.

Reply to
Rufus

Rufus,

Roger that - one throws the other off. I have some old SNAP/Adams/Lifelike I-HAWKs so can get the airframes close, and have two sets (gotta have a STRAIGHT FLUSH to go with it) so have the ram air intakes. But the fins will have to be scratched and am not looking forward to that...

Cookie

Reply to
AMPSOne

I'm already knee-deep into research on scratchbuilding a Straight Flush...looks like I can bash the carriage from an existing kit - I forget exactly what the carriage is based on, but I have it in my notes...somewhere.

But as I've never tried my hand at vac-forming anything, I'm more than a bit scared of how to do the dishes...

Reply to
Rufus

Hi.

Considering the quality of moldings, and detail at a very decent price, I just about fell over myself over these two. (of course reading your reviews was mandatory !!) I plan on OOB on these. I just haven't seen many built up reviews at all.

I figured out that the missiles were too small in diameter, but didn't catch on to the length. Also the aft sectional profile of the missiles looks off to me.

First time I've looked at a Trumpeter AFV kit Looks like they are going to be my new friend in AFV model land.

8-)
Reply to
AM

What scale? I really liked IS-3 from Trumpeter in 1/72.

Maciek

Reply to
Maciek

Hi.

Both are 1/35 scale.

Well I got the KV 2 almost 3/4 finished, and I only started in on Saturday !!!!!!!! (2 and 1/2 days to this point is a record for me)

It's ready for green paint, then adding the fenders, final coat of green, and then the tracks. Fit is excellent, and like the slide molded Dragon kit's, proper alignment of parts and sub assemblies from the start pays off. This is a very enjoyable build for me ! (thanx Trumpeter)

I also have finally got the decals on my 88 Flak 36, and have everything but tracks done of my Sdkfz 251C. I keep going at this rate, and I'll be finishing a model a month !!

Reply to
AM