Reply to
Al Superczynski

academy m151a1 (#1323) is new tooling, looks nice & crisp, look at:

#1323 does not include soft top

i've posted question about m151 to rms few minutes ago, what a coincidence :-)

rafal

Reply to
Saskwacz

The original Tamiya M151A2 (35130) that came with a cargo trailer (and the Academy copy #1326) both came with a raised soft top. Both are still relatively available at local shops and online like eBay or stores.

Rob Gronovius

Reply to
rgronovius

Al,

All Tamiya M151 kits were A2 variants. One of the kits had raised soft top and a trailer and the other kit had TOW launcher. Academy was (and still is) selling exact copies of these two models. These models were rather simplified.

Recently Academy released three new models of M151A1 (one with M60 gun, one with recoilless rifle and Israeli Shmira)- they are new toolings. They also made new tool M151A2 hardtop with a trailer. All these models are much better than old Tamiya/Academy releases, but none includes raised soft top parts.

So to build best A1 softtop you need new Academy M151A1 kit and soft top parts from older Tamiya (or Academy which is much cheaper) M151A2 softtop+trailer kit.

Please note however that the soft top as included in Tamiya/Academy old kit is not quite accurate for Vietnam era M151A1. Old top as used in Nam had two individual small windows on the back, while the top included in the kit is of later type with one large window.

Pawel

Reply to
Vodnik

Pawel,

As somebody who drove an A1 in Vietnam and at Fort Riley, KS, that's not quite true. Many A1s had the later canvas cover on them, either due to an MWO that wanted it added for safety reasons (the other was hard to see out of) or "midnight requisition."

Big problem is that Academy copied the A2 suspension (or rather Tamiya's lame attempt at it) for the A1. But if you aren't a purist or have driven all three variants not a big deal.

It does need to be jacked up about 2mm all the way aroind with shims, though.

Cookie Sewell

Reply to
AMPSOne

Thanks for the reply. BTW, it was your post that reminded me to make mine! ;)

Reply to
Al Superczynski

Thanks, Rob.

Reply to
Al Superczynski

Thanks.

Rats - well, I guess it will be just a *little* extra work. The particular Mutt in question has rear windows of two different sizes - the one on the drivers' side is larger than the other. Were they all like that?

Reply to
Al Superczynski

Thanks, Cookie - I found your old review of the Academy kit after I posted my question. Very useful info!

Reply to
Al Superczynski

Cookie,

I haven't seen any photo of M151A1 in Nam with newer canvas. Do you have any pics maybe? I don't doubt that what you wrote is true, I just like to see such interesting "anomalies" on photos :-) It does not surprise me though - I know that, despite some opinions to the contrary, that M151A2s were also used in Nam, so with them I assume newer canvas arrived as well.

I know very well about the suspension problem... Take a look at some pics of my Academy M151A1:

Cheers, Pawel

Reply to
Vodnik

All old style canvas were like that with larger window on driver side. But I'm sure that what Cookie wrote about using newer canvas in Nam is true, so it is up to you to decide what do you want to use on your model. I have never seen a photo of newer canvas on M151A1 in Nam, so older one was definitely much more common. I guess (only guess!) that newer canvas arrived with newer M151A2 jeeps and production of these started in 1969. This cound mean that pre-1969 only old canvas was used, but again - it is just my guess.

Pawel

Reply to
Vodnik

Most excellent! Your review will be extremely valuable when (if) I build the contract model. Thanks!

Reply to
Al Superczynski

Not if my client wants an accurate model - he's sent me three pics of 'his' vehicle at Clark AB in 1970 and they all clearly show the early style rear windows. ;)

Reply to
Al Superczynski