B-57 color question

Can anyone tell me about the color of the wheel wells of a B-57B ? The airfix instructions would have me paint them "crimson", but something makes me doubt that.

Tx

Reply to
Nemesis

Not entirely out of the question....as the F-101 had certain areas such, as wheel well sections, painted red.

Reply to
Greg Heilers

They look kinda grayish green to me. Definately not crimson - if you ignore the "remove before flight" flag.

Color photos here:

b57eindetailfr_1.htm

Cheers and all,

Reply to
Bill Shatzer

Since I have one of the resin Collect-Air 1/48 scale B-57B/G, I'm also interested. Unfortunately, when I clicked on the link, I got a page indicating the site is "forbidden." Anyone else have that problem?

Were I forced to hazard a guess, based merely on the convention of the day, I would guess the wheel wells were probably gloss white as were most SEA camo USAF aircraft. Zinc chromate, however, would not have been an impossibility. As I said, those are just guesses on my part but I would be surprised if they were red. I know that the inside area of some Air Force aircraft speed brakes and flap wells (F-101 comes to mind) and the undersides of leading edge slats were painted insignia red (Like the F-100) and that the edges of LG doors on gray/white Navy aircraft were painted red for visibility when they were open.

I have personally never seen evidence of landing gear bays painted red but that's just me. I would like to know if anyone has hard evidence of red, white, zc, or any other color applied to the ldg gear bays of SEA camo B-57B/G aircraft in Southeast Asia.

Reply to
Bill Woodier

There were typos in the posted URL. Try this instead:

Reply to
Al Superczynski

That second photo looks a bit chromate green to me.

Reply to
Nemesis

I saw a lot of Air Force B-57s and all I ever saw was chromate green.

The pictures I have seen of the NASA and Air Force RB-57Fs leads me to say they are White. Well, actually more pink from spilled Hydraulic fluid.

Norm

Reply to
Norm Filer

Thanks Al; I was able to open it that time. In the couple wheel well pics there, they looked like interior green to me (with considerable underside black overspray).

Reply to
Bill Woodier