Best basecoat for Alclad II?

I read that the best basecoat for alclad II laquer is an acrylic gloss black, but which brands are best? Tamiya, Gunze, PollyScale? And which ones are better avoided?

Thanks in advance

Reply to
Yuri

Here is the link to Alclad's page --

I think that you can use most acrylics and enamels under regular Alclad II. For the polished Alclads you need to use a gloss enamel -- the smoother you get it on the better your finish will be.

Jim Bright

Reply to
jhbright

Best I've found for Alclad is Mr. Surfacer.

Art

Reply to
Art Murray

Whatever you do, don't use the regular Tamiya paint, but use the spray cans. The small Tamiya bottles are water-based acrylics, the spray cans are laquer-based acrylics (correct me if I'm wrong, anybody).

And apparently, a water-based acrylic basecoat will make the Alclad crack - I learned that the hard way (very fine cracks, which appeared somewhere between two days and three months after spraying the alclad... And I'd left the basecoat to dry for a few weeks before applying the alclad...)

The alclad was a joy to work with, however.

Good luck and have fun,

Sven

"Yuri" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@powernews.libero.it...

Reply to
TimeLess

Sven has it correct. The instructions originally stated "acrylic base coat" but they were referring to acrylic LAQUER not acrylic aqueous paint. I haven't read the site lately but I believe aqueous style paints are too fragile for Alclad II. hth

The Keeper (of too much crap!)

Reply to
Keeper