boeing

Type 2, non-insulin dependent diabetes. High glucose counts with several nasty side effects. When I was diagnosed my count was 380. Normal is under 100. I'm down to 150-170 and the doc wants e down to 100.

Only one stick test per day akes it a lot easier to deal with. Also I can tolerate low fat milk now. Before I couldn't stand that sweetened water taste. I sure sleep better now.

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

Interesting as I was told it was allowed as long as I didn't overindulge. I think 6-8 ozs. a day is the limit. Mostly I drink tea, hot or cold. Usually cold tea gets a dash of lemon or lime. No sugar, of course.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Maiesm72) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m06.aol.com:

Ah-ha. You were much higher than me. With further to go I can see the rationale.

Reply to
Gray Ghost

That's handy. You can check your blood sugar level, and if you're pregnant. Kim M

:+)

Reply to
Royabulgaf

Heard from someone on this forum awhile back who topped out in the 800s!

I can't even imagine that.

Also have a good modeling friend who lost both feet before he decided to take it seriously. :-(

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Maiesm72) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m05.aol.com:

I met a guy in a grocery store once. we were both buying those healthy portion type meals and we got to talking. He too was in the 800s.Hw looked miserable.

My doc has been jiggling my meds a bit since some of them make it harder to lose weight (swell, right?). We got off enough that I was floating in the high hundreds and even went to 250 one day. Needless to say I was unfit company for civilized people until I figured it out. Back on track, now, but holy cow!

Luck to you. For some reason it's comforting knowing others are fighting a similar battle and that some seem to be winning.

Frank

Reply to
Gray Ghost

Are you referring to blood sugar count or unbuilt models? Kim M

Reply to
Royabulgaf

Ever hear of Barney Ewell, the Olympic runner? He lived around here and had diabetes. He lost both of his legs before dieing from complications. He used to 'work' at Hamilton Watch when I was there. I think management hired him to tell stories because that's what he did best. Sadly, I didn't know much about him then so I didn't pay too much attention to his stories. Aside from the necessity of my looking like I was working I'm sorry I didn't listen and remember them.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Mad-Modeller wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@somewhere.com:

A runner!?! Was he still slnder and lanky? That's depressing as Hell.

Reply to
Gray Ghost

"Gray Ghost" A runner!?! Was he still slnder and lanky? That's depressing as Hell.

'Barney' Ewell lost his legs while he was an elderly gentleman, well into his seventies.

A sprinter out of Penn State, Ewell probably would be more well known today had not WWII caused the cancellation of two consecutive Summer Olympics, events where he would have been in his prime. Still, Ewell grabbed 3 medals in the '48 Olympics......at the ripe old age of 30.

/Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Carroll

Unfortunately, the thing about diabetes is that it isn't just about weight, heredity also takes a part in it, but I don't think they have all the answers yet. I have 2 Aunts, Louise is a skinny little thing and Katherine leans toward the "hefty" side of the family, as I do (250 lbs.). Both my Aunts have Diabetes, so I am in danger as I age. It ain't just weight.

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

Yes, that's the guy. I was impressed that he was running a year before I made my debut. He was still slim but he was under 6 foot tall when I knew him. He did have a little extra around the middle.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller