Building a "Vomit Comet"...

Heya folks!

Here's an idea that I've been toying with for a few years, and am finally in a position to give it serious contemplation. Howzabout building a 1/72 scale Boeing C-135 series as used my NASA and ASD for weightlessness training, aka da vomit comet?

What specific mark of the 135 (or 137) would I need, which en- gine nacelles does it have, would I be better off using an ERTL EC-135 kit or an Airfix/Heller E-3 kit, and what are the serial #'s and markings used? Anybody got any info?

IIRC, the AMT kit comes with a flat bare bones C-135 interior and a cargo door that can be posed open. Maybe I'm wrong on that, but it sure as heck wouldn't be hard to scratch build if I am. This would be a GREAT display kit at any contest! The door open, a loading ladder with crew coming down, one or two passengers on stretchers, and a custodial crew with mop and bucket inside!

If you wanted to do the a/c alone, I suppose that you could use the old Revell 1/1?? KC-135 kit...

Not being an AZHoser with a one-one turd diorama here, but I think it would be funny without being disgusting.

Anyone else got comments? Constructive criticism always acc- epted, flames to /dev/nul ! (How many of you get that joke!?!?)

-andyh

Reply to
Drew Hill

How about an in flight scene, with either a clear side or cut-away, showing figures floating within?

Reply to
eyeball

Actually, there have been/are several of them, not just a single plane. In addition to the original KC-135s, I think someone now operates a 727 in that role. I seem to remember now something about an independent contractor and merely selling services to NASA. So NASA may be outsourcing those flights now.

Reply to
Don Stauffer

Back in May 1983 I was at Ellington AFB photographing the ANG F-4Cs when the Weightless Wonder IV, aka Vomit Comet came into the pattern. After a few touch and goes, it landed and taxied in. I went over to the ramp where it parked and several men and women in orange flightsuits climbed down from the forward crew hatch on the left side of the nose. I asked a woman with the unusual name "Sally Ride" on her nametag who I needed to speak to to get permission to photograph the airplane, never thinking to take HER photo! Anyway, I've got several photos of the airplane. If you want them, let me know and I'll scan them for you. Your other diorama ideas, humorous as they might be, wouldn't be realistic at all based on what I saw that day. It was then a KC-135A with J57s and the refueling boom removed. Scott Wilson

Reply to
avnav526

The old Revell kit could be found as a C-135B without the refueling boom. IIRC, it had J57s and was in 1/139th scale. Unless you're really picky that is pretty close to 1/144th.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

braille scale!

Reply to
someone

I did a fairly nice one as a C-135B courier with French Blue undersides and white 'roof'. I used a bunch of railroad striping to get those cheat lines right. I'll have to show a pic sometime.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Well, it's /dev/null

Reply to
David N Lombard

And here I thought Dev Null was the guy that worked w/ Soledad O'Brein on "The Site"

Reply to
OldSchool

with his brother, fum duk and friend bouche dag.

Reply to
someone

well...I hope that *wasn't" directed at me. I meant no offense and was simply offering an observation

Reply to
OldSchool

nah, was and old joke.

Reply to