CA glue for wood - side note to the balsa kit thread

so does the CA for wood work just as fast for wood as plastic/resin? One thing that concerns me about using regular wood glue for a Guillows kit is that I would have to wait so long for regular wood glue to dry. The longer I have to wait will greatly determine whether or not I'll finish the kit, or move on and partially starrt another..

If the CA glue works fast I could go that way and then glue the sub assemblies with wood glue afterwords.

Craig

Reply to
Musicman59

Yes but you need to use the medium or thick stuff.

Cheers,

Nigel

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4658 (20091203) __________

Nigel Heather the-heathers.co.uk>

The thick or "gel" stuff does set a little slower, but that is fine for me- I find the regular sets too fast anyway. However, when building the Guillows models I use white glue for MOST joints, only use the gel CA when I really need a fast tack. The white glue is so much cheaper, and you need a LOT of glue for something as big as those Guillows models. Particularly, anything I have to pin down over plans gets the white glue.

Nigel Heather the-heathers.co.uk> Yes but you need to use the medium or thick stuff.

Reply to
Don Stauffer

Agreed.

I've made quite a few large radio controlled balsa models in the past.

If you are building over a plan then I'd recommend a sheet of polythene over the plan then use white PVA or better still yellow aliphatic. This sticks the wood together but doesn't adhere to the polythene so you plan is kept safe. You can't use CA here because the polythene would end up stuck to your model.

Yellow aliphatic is best because it has similar properties to PVA but it is sandable.

Rather than buying expensive stuff from the model shop you can get much cheaper bigger bottles from DIY centre.

Cheers,

Nigel

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4660 (20091204) __________

Nigel Heather the-heathers.co.uk>