Copter Rotor Droop - How?

A Hind review at cybermodeler said the Trumpeter kit rotors have no droop when built.

How does one make them sag appropriately???

thx - Craig

Reply to
crw59

Best suggestion I've heard is to tape them to a hacksaw blade, flex the blade to the proper droop, and run under hot water to set the droop into the plastic.

Reply to
Rufus

Don't know if this would work, but maybe tape all blades to the hacksaw blade at the same time, so that you get a similar amount of droop on each one?

Reply to
Graham Townsend

If it's the larger type of blade held in place by two locating pins, then a length of wire could be thread through the holes at each end and the blade tension set appropriately, like a bow.

Richard.

Reply to
Richard Brooks

This method requires no surgery and should result in identical droops. Line the blades up in parallel, laid over a dowel (or similar) that is perpendicular to the blades. Put a weight at both ends of all blades. Now they are drooping. To set the droop permanently, heat the blades with very hot water or a hair dryer. If using the latter, be sure the heat is distributed evenly. If using the former, set the blades up in a pan of some sort, then pour in the water. Curt

Reply to
Curt

VERY carefully bend the inner two-thirds of the blade slightly between your frist two fingers on top and your thumb underneath. Press down with your fingers and up with your thumb and then move down the blade and do it again. The trick is to not bend too much at any individual place but let the cumulative affect of all the bends form the droop. Practise this on a piece or five of scrap plastic strip before you do it for real. Attaching the blades to the hub is another opportunity to introduce a slight droop; allow the blade to droop just a bit while the glue sets.

Reply to
Jessie C

Although the also-mentioned "hacksaw blade" trick works well, I think that Jessie's idea is the easiest, and most practical...as well as the easiest to control. And unless your finished model suffers some unfortunate temperature-change exposure, this hand-bending should remain permanent.

Reply to
Greg Heilers

I second Greg's response.

I have been doing it that way for decades and models I built back in the mid eighties still have the droop and never straightened out!

Reply to
The Model Hobbit