Cover Sheet Sticks to Decals

A friend called to say he had some old Matchbox decals that had become glued to the little cover sheet of waxey paper and wanted to know if they could be salvaged. Has anyone had any luck salvaging the decals? Personally, I would pitch them and do an alternate scheme but he wants these marks.

Any suggestions?

MB

Reply to
Milton Bell

Milt

Try steaming them off like your would a stamp from an envelope!

Reply to
The Model Hobbit

Can any of the cover be peeled off, even if it leaves some bits left behind as residue? If so, what if he then applies the decals; and then after they set, and dry, thoroughly....he takes something like an alcohol-moistened cotton swab, and then slowly, and gently, scrubs the remaining residue away? Do you think that might work?

Reply to
Greg Heilers

Reply to
Derek Shaw

naptha-lighter fluid peels them right apart and doesn't cause potential damage like steaming or water.

what he said... :-)

Reply to
Peter W.

I had the same trouble with my He 70 decals. I tried soaking them extra long and that didn't change the situation. What I did was apply them, let dry and GENTLY rub a new pencil eraser over the worst areas. The rubber rolled the stuff off. Then I sealed them with Dulcote.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad Modeller

in article UTsZd.1354230$ snipped-for-privacy@news.easynews.com, e at snipped-for-privacy@some.domain wrote on 3/14/05 9:45 PM:

Now that's an idea I hadn't heard. I'll pass that on and see what happens. Thanks for all the suggestions. There's bound to be a solution in there.

MB

Reply to
Milton Bell

it works almost instantly and leaves no trace. everything else sticks or messes.

If you go to

and search r.m.s. for peteski naphta you'll get few interesting nuggets. :-)

I posted this solution quite a while back in a thread titled "waxed paper cover stuck to old decal "

Enjoy!

Peteski

Reply to
Peter W.

i've used it on matchbox decals 7-8 times and haven't lost ne.