Dang...I won one...

...at the club meeting last night. I told them not to let me draw tickets or I'd draw my own name...but they did...and I did...

...and I walked away with a 1/48 Eduard F6F-3 Hellcat.

Reply to
Rufus

Isn't that kinda small for you? :)

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Yeah...not to mention I've already got a Hasagawa one.

...so it looks like I'm gonna have to scratchbuild a 1/48 scale carrier.

Reply to
Rufus

there are some empty hangers near you to store it in. and i want to watch....

Reply to
someone

How big will that be? How many of us could ride in that sucker? ;)

Reply to
eyeball

Yeah...I could take it fishing on the weekends...

Reply to
Rufus

e:

rooftops are an entirely untapped display resource. think of all the flight decks we could build.

Reply to
crw59

I live in the UK where pitched roofs are the norm, so I could only really build HMS Ark Royal, USS Yorktown or Japanese carriers.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

most are buit to be self supporting with maybe an ac unit. otherwise they are quite weak. those little 1 prop, 4 seat private planes have no problem going through one at 100mph.

Reply to
someone

And if you lived in the Midwest you could probably get your models to fly with little effort. Yeesh.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

...if you lived here you wouldn't even need to go to the roof - we had gusts in excess of 50 knots yesterday...sustained above 35.

Reply to
Rufus

off. The SNJ was running up it's engines and I saw the B-17 > taxijust before we left.

I'm glad you got out of that heat. On a nice day the heat can roll back off the concrete and bake you from underneath. I've gotten burned on the undersides of my arms at some shows. Some of the best shows I ever went to took place on cool, drizzly days. Yeah, photography was lousy but I didn't faint either.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

take off. The SNJ was running up it's engines and I saw the B-17 > taxijust before we left.

I've been burned (pardon the pun) at all three shows I managed to attend this year. We went to the open house at Andrews, and stood in line FOUR hours to get on the shuttle bus. We were in the front 1/4 of the line yet were literally on the LAST bus going out. I don't know how they managed it, but all we saw was the Blue Angels, and vendors packing up. A lot of people in that line were cussing the MPs...and I'm still peeling from that sunburn! At Mcguire they made us walk over a mile to our car in 90ish degree heat. After Reading, and all this record heat, I think I'm done for this year.

Reply to
eyeball