More sale items - better format

I set up a small website since I did not like how the posting got formatted on this and other forums. If you go you will see that there will be quite a
bit on there eventually (hopefully not, hopefully people will buy it form me!)
Anyway opinions of the site, ease of navigation, appearance, etc would be appreciated.
Oh and buy something!
http://tauss.home.insightbb.com/ModelsForSale.htm
Looks good to me, Frank. I did notice that some of the type ran together which I assume is endemic to databases.
Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Thanks. Where did you see the run together? Because I have crappy eyesight I set things on my screen large and distinct. I have to dial it back to 1024 x 768 for testing but haven't noticed anything odd, yet.
Frank
on 2/25/2009 12:30 AM (ET) Gray Ghost wrote the following:

The site does not work well with Firefox. It does work in IE.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

What does it do in Firefox?
--
Always remember:

Bull Connor was a Democrat!

It was not obvious to me that the main page was links. So at first I thought the page was devoid of a list of things to sell and moved on.
This morning I went back again and just started clicking on text in the table (like Models).
I'd suggest picking a different background color for the main page, or forcing a contrasting color for not yet visited hyperlinks. The default is blue and very close to the background color.
--
snipped-for-privacy@food.skaterat.net
All foods should be removed to reply

Fixed that. I've been in the business a long time. I hate white backgrounds, but I thibk it's becuase of poor eyesight. I've always liked dark background with lighter text. Doesn't work as well on the web, though.
--
Always remember:

Bull Connor was a Democrat!
on 2/25/2009 10:31 AM (ET) Gray Ghost wrote the following:

See in alt.binaries.models.scale addressed to you.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Will, you da man. From what you sent I was able to determine that for reasons unknown Firefox was not correctly interpeting my lists, there was a hidden column used only for sorting and for whatever reason Firefox could not tell it was hidden. Actually I think it was displaying the text but not the cell itself.
In any case I have a fix for now.
THANK YOU EVERYBODY!!
Please go back and find something you can't live without!!
Frank
on 2/26/2009 4:03 AM (ET) Gray Ghost wrote the following:

Validate your HTML here: http://validator.w3.org / I already did and you have errors.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Harumph. Actually the pages I did have just a few errors, mostly as I am missing some declarations which apparenly aren't fatal.
The generated documents have over 500 errors. Hmm?
It displays OK now. So I'm happy.
I'll keep that URL, though, thanks.
Frank

It seems the table fields are fixed width or else the calcualation is badly off. Certainly, in my case, the contents overflow into the next column often enough and far enough to make the whole thing entirely illegible.

ditto for me.
On Feb 26, 2:01am, grey snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Gray Ghost) wrote:

1280x800 no tinkering, with Firefox 3. And it's fine today (except needs more 1/72!)

Yee-haa! I stayed up late last night to figger it out. Apparently succesfully.
More 1/72 is coming, hang in there.
--
Always remember:

Bull Connor was a Democrat!
grey snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Gray Ghost) writes:

Hi, first of all, in web design the designer doesn't get to specify the font. The user gets to specify it. That means that unless the designer has a lit of fonts, with the last in the list being something like "serif" or "sans" which are reconized as the system defaults on any modern browser, the font spec is worthless: it is supposed to be a list of recommendations with a fall-back.
Second, Arial 10 Bold is not likely to be on every machine. Probably only Microsoft Windows, and only if people still haven't removed it or replaced it. Third, specifying font size is another big no-no. First, it doesn't serve as an order, because the user's browser controls the view, and secondly, if the designer then bases the rest of the page layout on that font size (i.e., "eye-check" that everything is OK) everything falls apart if the user's browser selects a different font. The user is also always free to specify his or her own stylesheet to view the designer's page!
A page design should be as far as possible free from visual formatting specifications. Once the logical formatting has been done (the goal of HTML) a CSS stylesheet may be used to give suggestions (if the user's browser understands CSS, and if the user chooses to accept that stylesheet).

See above.

Yuk! You exported this from Word?!? LOL I bet the table is complete crap: try to remove formatting and leave only the bare table info inside the table tags:
Cheers, Gernot

I am begining to understand that. Shame on me. I used to write code that was as generic as possible so as to work in the greatest number of enviroments. Back to junior for me.

I did the main and other pages in Word. What a fraking mistake! I redid them as just bare HTML. There are basic tables in some laid out as you describe just <tr> and <td>.
The lists were Excel, I was trying to make my job easier. Actually what I want is to allow the user to make a few selection - tyoe, scale - etc and then generate and display a custom sheet with a minimum of formatting. i did it once before several years ago but can't find the code I did it with. I was reading through my HTML books but that looks like a dead end neither VBScript or JavaScript have the data handling I need. Got any ideas?
I think i can invoke an exe through a link but how do i get the output HTML to display and will "back" still work? Have to test I guess.

Yep. That's how I did the links tables.

Thanks!
Frank
grey snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Gray Ghost) writes:

Hi Frank,
I am part of an engineering team of 6 people in our company designing, implementing and maintaining a web application for a mobile advertising server. I myself am neither the dedicated UI designer, nor the dedicated front-end (read: Javascript) guy, so I have to qualify when I say I have some ideas. I am not an expert.
You're quite right though in that this requires "dynamic HTML", either server-based (e.g., CGI) or client-based (e.g., Javascript), or a combination of the two (e.g., Javascript used to make a requiest to the server, and then format the page accordingly to display the new information received from the server).
Server-based has the advantage that the user does not need to have scripting enabled, the server simply presents a whole new page to the browser. But it is far less flexible, can take longer (though I personally think the current implementations of Javascript interpreters and XUL combined with haphazard coding and so on make the difference moot).

I guess that depends on how your data is stored, and how you access it. If you have a database like MySQL holding the data, then the access depends on your web framework and a mapper (if any) between the web framework and the database (to translate the tables into program arrays). I suppose the simplest would be to have plain text tables to hold the data (or CVS) and process it with command-line tools (like awk) and build a simple table (again, using awk) which then gets inserted verbatim into the HTML page at a particular location (whereever the exe is positioned).
That's not very specific, I know...
--
Gernot Hassenpflug

It's up to you to make your prime laws, but remember the law of supply and demand. If you only made it for yourself, go ahead, and leave it on an inaccessible server too.

Read the sentence again, blowhard.
Gray Ghost wrote:

I believe most of them happened in the 1/24th kits. Am I correct in remembering a 1/24th Harrier?
Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.