More sale items - better format

i'm a diehard enamel junkie. i just don't like watercolors. must be some chemical thing. bad pheronomes or whatever. how's tricks, g?

Reply to
someone

Gernot Hassenpflug wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@NOTE049.local.i-did-not-set--mail-host-address--so-tickl e-me:

I am begining to understand that. Shame on me. I used to write code that was as generic as possible so as to work in the greatest number of enviroments. Back to junior for me.

I did the main and other pages in Word. What a fraking mistake! I redid them as just bare HTML. There are basic tables in some laid out as you describe just and .

The lists were Excel, I was trying to make my job easier. Actually what I want is to allow the user to make a few selection - tyoe, scale - etc and then generate and display a custom sheet with a minimum of formatting. i did it once before several years ago but can't find the code I did it with. I was reading through my HTML books but that looks like a dead end neither VBScript or JavaScript have the data handling I need. Got any ideas?

I think i can invoke an exe through a link but how do i get the output HTML to display and will "back" still work? Have to test I guess.

Yep. That's how I did the links tables.

Thanks!

Frank

Reply to
Gray Ghost

Hi Frank,

I am part of an engineering team of 6 people in our company designing, implementing and maintaining a web application for a mobile advertising server. I myself am neither the dedicated UI designer, nor the dedicated front-end (read: Javascript) guy, so I have to qualify when I say I have some ideas. I am not an expert.

You're quite right though in that this requires "dynamic HTML", either server-based (e.g., CGI) or client-based (e.g., Javascript), or a combination of the two (e.g., Javascript used to make a requiest to the server, and then format the page accordingly to display the new information received from the server).

Server-based has the advantage that the user does not need to have scripting enabled, the server simply presents a whole new page to the browser. But it is far less flexible, can take longer (though I personally think the current implementations of Javascript interpreters and XUL combined with haphazard coding and so on make the difference moot).

I guess that depends on how your data is stored, and how you access it. If you have a database like MySQL holding the data, then the access depends on your web framework and a mapper (if any) between the web framework and the database (to translate the tables into program arrays). I suppose the simplest would be to have plain text tables to hold the data (or CVS) and process it with command-line tools (like awk) and build a simple table (again, using awk) which then gets inserted verbatim into the HTML page at a particular location (whereever the exe is positioned).

That's not very specific, I know...

Reply to
Gernot Hassenpflug

It's up to you to make your prime laws, but remember the law of supply and demand. If you only made it for yourself, go ahead, and leave it on an inaccessible server too.

Read the sentence again, blowhard.

Reply to
Gernot Hassenpflug