modelling cable assemblies

Anyone have an idea as to how to approach modeling cable assemblies in '2004? I would like to layout cables, illustrating colour or individual conductors as well as "features" like twisted pair, jacketed shields... It may seem like "marketing show" but it would be cool to complete the document bundle by deriving cable assembly drawings from the 3D Models.

David, Melbourne, Florida

Reply to
David Wurmfeld

SolidWorks Routing (formerly SolidWorks Piping) should have most of these capabilities . . . at least eventually if not currently. That's a $1000 add-in which will probably go up severely in price soon, so if you want it go get it NOW. Otherwise there is even more expensive (but more capable and more mature) software call EmbassyWorks which you can still buy but which will not be updated any more and which may not be supported past SolidWorks 2001+ (not sure about the latter -- contact Linius Corp, now bought out by AutoDesk). That software can drive wiring diagrams, "nailboard" drawings and netlists for cable assembly, as well as interactively route individual wires (inside or outside of wire bundles) and has connector libraries as well.

Otherwise you're pretty much stuck with using 3D sketches to sweep round profiles in order to represent your cables.

Mark 'Sporky' Staplet>

Reply to
Sporkman

Mark, Too late (from what I hear). The "Routing" module will cost $2495 and I understand the cabling/wiring functionality will be coming soon. I wish I knew if would compare to the old EmbassyWorks product but I don't. We'll have to wait and see. One of the engineers here is very interested in it.

As for Linius, I doubt that you can even get a copy of EmbassyWorks for SolidWorks anymore.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Doyle

Hello Richard-

For the last 3 years, I've modeled parts and assemblies for a medical device company. These components have all the parts you describe, twisted wires, strain relief's, cables assemblies, etc.

Be aware modeling these components is very time consuming and tedious. Also, since they are built upon 3-D sketches and helixes, they REALLY eat up system resources and cause drawings to take forever to open. Hopefully 2004 "light weight" drawings will improve this situation. I'm still waiting, before I switch from 2003.

Keep these wires as separate parts and assemblies and insert them on the top level.

"Sporkman" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@bigfootYETI.com... > SolidWorks Routing (formerly SolidWorks Piping) should have most of > these capabilities . . . at least eventually if not currently. That's a > $1000 add-in which will probably go up severely in price soon, so if you > want it go get it NOW. Otherwise there is even more expensive (but more > capable and more mature) software call EmbassyWorks which you can still > buy but which will not be updated any more and which may not be > supported past SolidWorks 2001+ (not sure about the latter

Reply to
Devon T. Sowell

Richard Doyle wrote: . . . (clip) . . .

I think they still do sell it (but may not for very long). Last I checked (about four or five months ago) they did continue to support existing licenses and were willing to upgrade older licenses for newer versions -- at least. No knowledge as to whether it will work with

2004, but (as the cobwebs in my brain clear a little bit) I'm pretty sure that 2003 was not a problem. Anywho, it wasn't and doubtless isn't cheap (if they still sell it at all). IIRC about $5000 for the base product and $8000 for the whole enchilada.

Best regards, Mark

Reply to
Sporkman