Dumbass Award

Bill:

You realize you have now effectively hijacked this thread and turned it into the forever popular thread about the damage that cats are notorious for doing in workshops?? This is why I have a dog!

Bill Shuey :-)

Reply to
William H. Shuey

Bill:

You realize you have now effectively hijacked this thread and turned it into the forever popular thread about the damage that cats are notorious for doing in workshops?? This is why I have a dog!

Bill Shuey :-)

Reply to
William H. Shuey

many owners don't realise you can teach cats not to get on shelves or tables. i had a calico for 22 years and she learned as a kitten not to claw when we playde and to stay off shelves. she would also use a toilet. it took less than 2 weeks to teach her that. one thing she wouldn't learn, not to purr all night sleeping by my head on the pillow. it took me 2 months to learn to do without it. i still feel her jump on the bed when i'm asleep.

We kept our daughter but we no longer have the cat. ;~)

Reply to
Bill Woodier

I think it might be easier to just overfeed the cat until it gets so fat that it physically can't jump up there anymore ;~p (OK, OK, OK; for you animal rights advocates out there....I'm just kidding. I would never do such a thing)

Reply to
Bill Woodier

You should see the two cats at the local feed store. Imagine something the size of a watermelon with legs. And yet they still have to be pretty spry to keep up their fast moving food intake.

WmB

Reply to
WmB

Oh, this is so much fun!

1) Airfix Handley Page 0/400. A beautiful kit. A rather complex kit for a schoolboy. With a passing sneer at the instructions I waded in. I noticed that the interplane struts were molded in two neat groups on the trees. Half facing right and half facing left. I jumped to the conclusion that they were grouped for the right and left wings - and molded in this way so that the ejector pin marks would all face inward. After completely painting and rigging the wing sub-assemblies, it was time to join them to the fuselage. Ooops! Those struts weren't grouped right and left - they were inner and outer. They were different lengths. The upper and lower wings of the real aircraft are not parallel, but are closer at the tips. My model's wings were now parallel, but the right and left sides were separated by different distances. The top wing halves didn't even come close to meeting in the middle!

I wasn't about to reverse course at this late stage of contruction, so I resorted to the candle and rather crudely bent the inner portions of the top wing halves until they met. The model was banished to hang from the ceiling where one could appreciate it from below.

2) Dean Hess' P-51D. For a very long time, there was no decent 1/72 P-51D on the market. The best option was to kit bash either the old Revell or Airfix "D" with the Monogram "B". This I did. Nicely detailed interior, vacuformed canopy, hypo gun barrels... I had chosen to do it in Dean Hess' Korean AF markings. (Remember ABT decals?) While the decals of the Korean national insignia are swimming in the cup of water, I realize that detached from the sheet, I couldn't tell which way was "up". Is it red or blue on top? The instructions were black and white and didn't mention this. In a panic, I scoure the library - no color renderings of the insignia to be found. Well, I just had to guess, and guess quickly! And, as it turned out, guessed wrong.

I showed the model many times and no one ever mentioned that the insignia were upside down. I prefer to think it was out of curtesy.

Greg Reynolds, IPMS

Reply to
Greg

snipped-for-privacy@some.domain (e) wrote in news:XHJ0h.294976$ snipped-for-privacy@fe09.news.easynews.com:

I find the purring relaxing. My big old white male, thr alpha in our pride, loves to get between the wife and I or lay on my chest and make himself comfortable. He was quite the bully when younger but he's mellowed considerably, remarkably patient and loving with my 3yo girl.

Frank

Reply to
Gray Ghost

"Bill Woodier" wrote in news:odidnXgeDrDh8t7YnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

You don't have to be an animal rights nut to not want to see animals mistreated.

Frank

Reply to
Gray Ghost

"Bill Woodier" wrote in news:Fs2dnbWfVff0897YnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

I remember when my cat (he's no longer among us) jumped on my desk. No damage was done at that point, but then.... what to do??? Get mad at the cat and it will jolt and do damage for sure. Not a good idea. If you pick him up its paws will try to keep hold to what ever surface you are working on. So another no-go.

So I waited till he, gently walking between sub-assemblies, open paint/glue jars, ash tray with a good cigar, some more kits, open boxes with spares and other small stuff, reached a safe spot on the desk from where I could gently shove him off the desk.

That was a LONG wait I can tell you!

Cheers,

Dennis

Reply to
Mechanical Menace

Not sure this really works - we had one cat was 22 lbs. although not necessarily fat - he was just a big cat. He would bound across the basement floor - onto my bench - continue with one smooth motion s up on the top of the foundation wall and in the sheet rocked area over the furnace. One night sitting up there he managed to collapse a half a sheet of sheet rock that had to be replaced.

Val Kraut

">I think it might be easier to just overfeed the cat until it gets so fat

Reply to
Val Kraut

I think.... And did I mention I work at a nuke plant? ;) >>

Is your real name Homer? ;-)

Hawkeye

No, but there is a guy who works up on the 3rd floor in mahogany row whose name is Simpson, and his nickname is.... Very nice guy, quite bright actually, but with the name of Simpson, and working at a nuke plant it's pretty much a given that he'd get the nickname.

Reply to
Disco58

Huh?!

Yeah, I know, I know. I don't classify myself as an animal rights nut but neither do I mistreat animals. It was supposed to be a joke.....a funny.....something to make folks chuckle a bit.

Ah, humor; a difficult concept.

Reply to
Bill Woodier

Reply to
Andrew M

Reply to
Andrew M

It could be worse...his name could be "Smithers".

:o)

Reply to
Greg Heilers

"Bill Woodier" wrote in news:tJudnTDfy4-KVt7YnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

I did get it, just pullin' your chain back atcha. 8)

Frank

Reply to
Gray Ghost

Which is why I keep my basement door shut. Two cats back I had a lot of damage done to the Japanese section of the collection because Mr Kitty was playing with the extension cord hanging down behind the shelves. He came awfully close to finding how many lives were left to him that day. And did I bawl when I had to have him put to sleep years later.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

That's the downside of having pets. I hate it when I lose one, and I've lost *many* furry companions over the years. It never gets any easier... :(

Reply to
Al Superczynski

Well, we haven't managed to teach any of our three cats to stay at the floor, and the thicker one of them is still very agile. That's why the door to my model room is always to stay closed - And I still pray that noone forgets to keep it that way....

Reply to
Claus Gustafsen