Earthquake in New Zealand

Let's keep Stadia and the other Kiwis on this board in our thoughts and prayers. A nasty quake hit Christchurch this morning that killed a
lot of people.

jeebus! what a mess.
On 2/22/2011 9:42 AM, snipped-for-privacy@some.domain wrote:> <pre wrap>

&lt; snipped-for-privacy@t19g2000prd.googlegroups.com&gt;, The Old Man &lt; snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net&gt; wrote:

Indeed. It's regrettable that so many died yesterday.
Bill Banaszak
snipped-for-privacy@some.domain wrote:

...been a strange week for me *here*. We had a guy die of a massive heart attack at his desk, on a phonecon at work on Tuesday morning.
Later that *same* day, I was on another phonecon and it was announced that one of the gals just across the field that was supposed to be on that call wouldn't be because she just went into labor...learned today that she had a boy.
One leaves, another one arrives...makes one pause to reflect...steady on, Kiwis.
--
- Rufus

the bits of media i've found are really difficult viewing. the visuals of nz i've seen in movies/news make it obvious that it is a very special part of this mortal coil. sorry to hear about your work place trauma. i hope you are otherwise well.
On Fri, 25 Feb 2011 06:26:15 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@some.domain ( snipped-for-privacy@some.domain) wrote:

Thanks for the thoughts all of you. I am back online after herculean efforts by the local power company. Things are a mess here but we had learnt a lot since the quake last september and have a very good local leader in the Mayor, Bob Parker. This quake was shallow, 5km and epicentred 7km from me. Aftershocks to 4.4 are regular. Death toll 113 as of now and could rise by another 250. One thing I can guarantee is that the rebuilding will not have any brick or stone facades to the buildings. They were the worst hit but even some relatively new ones collapsed. Good site for coverage is www.nzherald.co.nz
Tony Christchurch NZ (or what is left of it)

thanks for that url. and surviving! if you need any emergrncy modeling supplies, just tell us. getting some normalcy can have good psychological bvenefits. we get miniquakes and tremors all the time. gives a dangerous complacency because one day it won't be minor and we'll waste a second or two on false assumptions.
Stadia wrote:

From what I've seen in the media things look pretty bad - I have to agree about the high rises and facades...not a good combination.
Here's hoping that the shakes are over and you can all be safe, dig out, and get back to life as you like it.
--
- Rufus

snipped-for-privacy@some.domain wrote:

Gives me something to think about...very odd and karmic set of circumstances. Stranger still that I know/knew both of the individuals involved.
Sometimes the wheel turns close enough to near run you over. Glad it's the weekend.
--
- Rufus

i think a flat would be better. yep, friday it was.